Academics.

spencerlogan

Feb 20, 2011
Does Sturgis have a degree from anywhere? I've been digging around and haven't been able to find information on his academic career. Just curious.

I think Joey just did the one TDWP record and everything sort of blew up from there. Many, dare I say most, great audio engineers werent taught at some school who told them to do it. They read on the tips sure, learned from some masters, but they tried it for themselves and learned their own ways of doing things. That's creativity. You can't have someone teach you that.

^^^^
I think the OP meant just in general. Not necessarily in the audio engineering field

Oh, okay. Doesn't seem like he went to college... I feel like he would have mentioned it in that article. But I'm sure the man will answer for himself soon enough.

Perhaps one day he'll be the Dean of Podfarm at the University of Tact.

I feel like he would have mentioned it in that article. But I'm sure the man will answer for himself soon enough.

Now, I am not 100% on this but when reading the article it says he started when he was 19 and progressively got to where he is today. He could have went to a community college but I dont see where he would of had the time to goto any audio 4 year.

About education: If I was giving advice ... steer toward Electrical Engineering, that's a "EE". 4 or 5 years. It will give you all the educational tools necessary to then pursue recording if that is your passion. I designed and built guitar efx processor as my thesis project. But at the same time you can fall back on $60K starting $100K per year typical. Industrial process control for example is really related to recording audio. Lots of analog and digital streams coming into massive computer systems. We handle anywhere from 100- 3000 tracks but in real time, process them then drive outputs to make shit 24/7.

But it's boring stuff like paper, plastics, cracking up oil, producing steel, baking cookies etc.

Passion for art drives the recording, money is there to sustain it. Nice to see that spirit. On the flip side MONEY drives the industrial. Gobs of money.

About education: If I was giving advice ... steer toward Electrical Engineering, that's a "EE". 4 or 5 years. It will give you all the educational tools necessary to then pursue recording if that is your passion. I designed and built guitar efx processor as my thesis project. But at the same time you can fall back on $60K starting $100K per year typical. Industrial process control for example is really related to recording audio. Lots of analog and digital streams coming into massive computer systems. We handle anywhere from 100- 3000 tracks but in real time, process them then drive outputs to make shit 24/7.

But it's boring stuff like paper, plastics, cracking up oil, producing steel, baking cookies etc.

Passion for art drives the recording, money is there to sustain it. Nice to see that spirit. On the flip side MONEY drives the industrial. Gobs of money.

Definitely good advice. Music is a passion of mine - I want to hopefully play in bands throughout my life. Unfortunately, for most, that's not quite a 'living'. If you can manage to get a great paying job that doesn't have too many hours, you'll have enough free time to also pursue music as a creative outlet, and also be able to afford every amp Ola Englund demos :p