AcmeBarGig RAZOR Head Released Here

ScottRiley

New Metal Member
May 4, 2009
Liverpool, UK
www.acmebargig.com
tamlagui.jpg

Razor is the first amp from our Preampus Metal Line of heads - as the name suggests, these amps are for the Metal Heads amongst us!

We've tried to do something different than a lot of the metal amps you'll find out now in the VST market, we think you'll be surprised by a lot of the amps from this line.

Razor is no exception, you'll have your 'go-to' presets, the ones you use every day and get used to, but turn just one of the knobs and suddenly it's an entirely new sound, maybe even the sound you've been searching for for quite a while!

Our favorite feature of Razor is it's built-in Drive Amp, which we SERIOUSLY recommend you spend some time tweaking and playing around with, especially the Drive Color functions, this can help you achieve tones from a more subtle, lower-gain tone to all-out 'kick you in the nuts 'til you cry' metal thunder!

Download Razor Head here:
http://www.acmebargig.com/razor/

So, if you're a Metaller, and have been a little disappointed that we've just spend a week churning out amps rooted in Classic Rock, then this is your chance to experience the heavier side of the Preampus line!

Bear in mind the Metal Line amps are HEAD ONLY, you will NEED to use some external cabinet modeling, we highly recommend LePou's LeCab, which you can grab here:
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/2009/07/lecab-v10.html

I know some fo you guys have been waiting for this one! :headbang:

This is my second favorite ABG amp after Brain 1, but wow, what an ultra-strange sound when you drop all the mids. I turned the knob trying to get a feel for how it affects the tone and felt like my guitar was speaking in tongues. The drive amp is going to take some practice. All in all, this is a step towards my favorite tonal qualities, so, woo!

This is my second favorite ABG amp after Brain 1, but wow, what an ultra-strange sound when you drop all the mids. I turned the knob trying to get a feel for how it affects the tone and felt like my guitar was speaking in tongues. The drive amp is going to take some practice. All in all, this is a step towards my favorite tonal qualities, so, woo!

Yeah, dropping the mids doesnt really feel so much like it drops the mids as much as compressed the whole thing to a pulp.

I dunno it was very strange to play with this one, felt very very digital imho and even with TSS in front it felt very congested in the mids. Also the gain felt very wierd and I couldnt stop it from sounding too overdriven. Not digging it too much I'm afraid.

Someone said something about it sounding better with the treblemaster instead of the drive amp. So I'm assuming treblemasters gonna be released as a standalone soon?

HAHA...Yeah these are different animals man for sure, they do not run like you would expect. So that is a new type of Tonestack I devloped, not that its any better than the original, just different. It shapes the wave, well they all shape the wav, but this is different..Thats why in the description we said turn one single knob and all of a sudden you are into a completely different sound. So, if you get a sound out of it that you like...Then make sure you save the preset...This is gonna be interesting to see how it is received..Also there are some presets in the ABG forum as well...
km

Well they are Preampus heads, so they are as different and varying as the Classic Hybrids, Preampus heads. Also once we release the Treble Master stand alone, you should be able to get close to that ever elusive old school black sabbath sound from Razor...Admittedly I have not tried that yet, but as far as I can tell all the pieces are there for it, including the power amp drive..
KM

Yeah I think we have like 7 now, but as you guys probably already know I'm have a real difficult week as we're moving and I will be loosing my Internet connection for like a week. So I am debating the idea of putting these releases off for a bit until I can get back online...I am not paying as much attention as I usually am able to. Well I know that every one would like that one in a million amp capable of all sounds, but reality is not like that, so the more of these I make, the better off all of you are going to be...You'll be able to get whatever sound you want by choosing the right head. So I'd like to make like 12 of them...I think within 12 heads we should be able to define more sounds that are available right now..
km

Of course da wolf, you can skin anything you want man, after all, you are an abg skinner, as such we could even go as far as... come up with a skin and a concept and I'll design an amp around it..Damn that would be kinda cool to get inspired by that..
km

Hey Guys here is a quick overview of Razor and the drive amp

About the drive amp..
It runs just like a normal amp, with the exception of the drive colors, thats something new. Drive coloring is multiple notch filters designed in a way that changes the behavior of the amp its driving. So take the color green for example, because of the ramp on the frequency Ranges, it sends the Razor tubes into massive compression mode, henceforth all the sustain. I don't think it would work like this in th real world, but Razor does not exist in the real world, so, why not, if you have a tool that you can use, then we should use it. I don't think green could be used very effectively as a Rythym Selection for high gain, whereas Cyan and Red, Blue, etc could be. Whats important here though is understanding the Drive Color Knob, This is a mix of the filtered to non filtered signal. So to Slightly color the sound, you use a little of it, like turning the knob to 1/16th of full is usually enough to get a slight coloring without sounding like there is missing frequencies. Selections like green however, almost no amount of that will be slight, it has a drastic effect on your tone and feel. Almost to a point where tone knobs don't really do much to alter it. The amp is just completely overwhelmed. It may be good to create some vintage James Gang FUNK 49 type sounds, but I have never tried that, I'm guessing there.

So how does Razor work!
Here is the short and curly of it, well at least my thought process in the design anyways, and what it does after the fact. The drive section is almost identical to a JCM 800..With a few of my own mods...I removed some lower frequencies going into it so that we could create a clean, non-flabby distortion, we drive in the gain stages, and then directly into the tone stack, which, is almost identical to a bassman, once again some of my own mods here. I put the lower frequencies back in, we already have the distortion so these remain relatively clean, But what is important here is that now we go into a second drive stage, and then into the power amp. This second drive stage allows you to somewhat bring back the flabby sound if you want it, and it is only there for that purpose, so because we have a clean distortion at the start, and then add lower frequencies to it, we now have been given the choice. The Poweramp knob controls the second gain stage, and master is straight into a clean power amp. You can also experiment with back end gain stage distortion with Razor too. Keep the first gain down and crank the Poweramp, that will distort the second half of the head. This is kinda good for Vintage sounds. Texas Blues, etc.. However you'll also notice when you drive the back end of the amp, the tonestack now acts as a sort of distortion sculpting device as well. This is why some people were saying, man that mid knob does not function like a mid knob. Turning any one of the tones tack controls will greatly effect the amplitude of the wave, rule of thumb is bass frequencies will distort faster. As a matter of fact you shoukd be able to get pretty close to a big muff type sound with this as well. With Razor and some of the other preampus amps that have a Power Drive, or HF drive knobs, you have to always be conscious of the distortion value of the Power amp as well. Lower drive in the power amp, means cleaner tighter distortion. So front end distortion = clean and manageable..BAack end distortion can = flabby unruly distortion. However this also depends on the position of the bas and mid knobs, bass cranked = flabby back end distortion when power drive is up. Bass lower = less flabby back end distortion. But once again, that depends on whether you are driving the power amp..

Hope that helps...Tomorrow there is a change of plans we are releasing Preampus Metal C-15..That is a pretty straight forward configuration..
KM

thanks for all these sweet amp sims so far! :D

your work is great, and keeping them free is amazing of you.

maybe one day for os x?

Maybe one day!

Who knows, I for one would absolutely love to see us make these available for Mac -if we were getting paid and could make our living off ABG, imagine the shit we could do, I'd devote the time myself to working towards learning what's needed for Mac development if I didn't have so much other crap on, sometimes I wish I could just drop all the freelance web design bullshit and just focus on ABG, but as long as there's bills to pay, I need to make money.

But, I can speak for everyone involved with ABG that seeing these run on Mac and Linux would be an amazing feeling - no concrete plans to release these, we just don't have the time to devote to branching off like this, everything we have spare goes into creating and supporting the Windows apps we're making now.