Acoustic Drums for Metal: A Guide

I've used a Rode NT1A in the room, and I agree room mics are nice to have, if you can find the right placement, but the acoustics HAVE to be great in order for it to work. And acoustics are a whole other science within itself as I am finding out. Basically flatten the lows and don't make the room overly dead. One thing I have found is that if the room mic doesn't have enough verb in it, then I have added some software reverb to the room mic and blended to taste. But you have to make sure that there are no phase issues, which can be tricky with a room mic because the sound and early reflections are arriving at different times than the close mics.

One thing I have found is that if the room mic doesn't have enough verb in it, then I have added some software reverb to the room mic and blended to taste.

the farther away your mic is from the source the more verb/pre delay you will get. Use software reverb on your room mic as a last resort.

And I dont know...your room acoustics dont have to be amazing to get a cool sound. I think room mic's dont only just give your drums reverb, but they also give your drums character, and makes them more interesting to listen to/sit better in the mix.

And I dont know...your room acoustics dont have to be amazing to get a cool sound. I think room mic's dont only just give your drums reverb said:
Are you kidding me? Room acoustics have EVERYTHING to do with getting a great sound. Sorry man I have to disagree with you, from personal experience. You could have one of the best mics in the world, and even a top performer but if your acoustics suck, then your sound is going to suck.

Yes, if you are recording in an all concrete room the size of a closet, it is going to sound like shit, I do not disagree with you there.

What I was trying to say is that if you are just recording in your living room, or basement or whatever, you can still get good results.

ok ok ok =) I Have a noob question (which I think you answered but I didn't understand). If the drums are on a piece of plywood, how do you them from shifting? I've played on one before and it would move everywhere. I have sharp metal "pegs" for the bass drum and double pedal but they still move around. Do you pre-punch little holes or something then put the pegs in?

ok ok ok =) I Have a noob question (which I think you answered but I didn't understand). If the drums are on a piece of plywood, how do you them from shifting? I've played on one before and it would move everywhere. I have sharp metal "pegs" for the bass drum and double pedal but they still move around. Do you pre-punch little holes or something then put the pegs in?

Yeah, I just usually drive them into the wood. If worse comes to worse, you can get some eyehooks, screw them into the wood & put the kicker's spike through the hole. I saw them do that in a Megadeth home video to Nick Mensa's kit for Youthanasia. Makes sense.
-0z-

Hi! I'm new here and I found this forum very helpful. I'm going to record drums with my band so I need some advices.

here we go!:)

Yesterday we set up the drum kit in our rehearsal room:

here's the drum kit:

Sonor Force 1007:

TOM1: 10"
TOM2: 12"
TOM3: 14"
Kick: 22" (without front drumhead) only the batter drumhead is left and it has that oil ring around it
Snare: 14"
Basix double bass pedal with rubber/plastic beaters

The drumheads are new since the drums are only 2 months old, and they are made by Remo for Sonor. Cymbals are: Crash right Paiste 101 16" (awful), Crash lleft Paiste 201 16" (slightly less awful), hihat Planet Z 14" (awful) and Ride 20" Planet Z (OK).

Mics used:

Kick: Shure SM 58 some 3 in away from the drumhead placed in front of the beaters, and DAP Audio Kick mic - part of this kit DAP audio DK-7 it's a (visual) copy of Audix kick mic placed on the outer edge of the kick drum

Snare: Shure SM57 up and down

Toms: DAP Audio DM 25 also a part od DAP audio DK-7 kit

Overheads: 2 DAP Audio condenser mics also a part of the same DAP audio DK-7 kit

hihat and ride : additionally miced with DAP Audio PL-07 (a copy of SM57) each

2 Terratecs EWS88MT soundcards recorded in Cubase SX3 at 44,1 kHz and 24 bits through Studiomaster mixing desk

Here's the preview of the sound we recorded. It's a raw recording, only the overheads (hard L, R) hihat, ride and toms were panned.

http://www.box.net/shared/miqgdxyskc

I'm generally satisifed with the recording but I only want to add some more attack to the kick drum. Is it possible that Shure Sm58 is just too close to the drum head and that proximity effect gets in the way? We're satisfied with the other kick mic it sounds fat, so combined we're aiming for a great kick sound :)

Pictures of the kit:

IMG_9035.jpg

IMG_9037.jpg

IMG_9066.jpg

IMG_9100.jpg

IMG_9041.jpg

IMG_9055.jpg

IMG_9119.jpg

IMG_9120.jpg

IMG_9148.jpg

IMG_9156.jpg

IMG_9165.jpg

Hey man, it all looks pretty good to me - I actually haven't liked putting a mic really close to the inside of the kick beater head (like you did with the SM58), though since you're mixing it with the D6 clone further back, I'd imagine you'd get the best of both worlds. Still, don't rule out just finding a good kick sample and replacing your kick with it, so you'll get a great, consistent sound, and it won't be noticable because the only thing that can vary with a kick is volume, not sound quality. As for the rest of the placement, it all looks good, though I'd recommend mic'ing the ride from underneath, pointed at the bell (I assume that's what one of those 57's is for), and maybe angling the floor tom mic up a bit to point at the center. And don't forget to try inverting the phase on the bottom snare mic, it'll probably make it sound a whole lot better!

Oh, and what kind of mixer is that? How are the pres?

Hey! We've released the tension on kick drum and also added a credit card where the beaters hit the drum head. It sounds awesome and it will need very little of EQ. It's 24 channel Studiomaster mixer

Question:

Has anyone used evans rings to get rid of unwanted resonance from the toms? Every time I kicked my bass drum, it would cause the toms to resonate really loudly. We tried putting one moongel on the top skin of each tom (i didn't have anymore to put on anywhere else) but it didn't do much. We don't really want to by rings if they don't work so I figured I'd ask you guys. Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

The drumheads are new since the drums are only 2 months old, and they are made by Remo for Sonor.

I have never seen stock heads worth a crap. Don't care if they have remo stamped on them or not usually paper thin and sound like crap. :puke:

Oh and to answer the guy above me, I prefer moon gels. Remo rings kill the sustain of the drums to much IMO. If your kick is making everything ring then I would say this might be a tuning problem.