Acoustic Drums for Metal: A Guide

OzN -- I just noticed the line underneath your user ID. Did you get the optional extra saucy ladies with your van, or just the leopard print interior and skull motif cockpit? :worship:

Matt Smith said:
The way I usually do it is record several takes of the song, write out a chart and listen back to each take, taking little notes for each section (down to every drum fill). Then I'll make one comp take from all the best parts. It's a giant pain and I hate every second of it, but it's the best way I've found to get one superhuman take.
I have not watched the Black album making of.

Do you mean takes of the band playing together or individual takes from each member of the band?

iekobrid said:
OzN -- I just noticed the line underneath your user ID. Did you get the optional extra saucy ladies with your van, or just the leopard print interior and skull motif cockpit? :worship:

Actually, I BUILD vans at my day job. Unfortunatley, no leopard prints.

However, "More Bad News" has to be one of my favourite movies....

"You couldn't amplify a fart with that thing!"

VANS as in the boxy vehicle that transports hottie milfs and the soccer kids, or vans as in the shoes?

which do you build?

OzNimbus said:
"More Bad News" has to be one of my favourite movies....

Mine as well. I'm amazed that anyone who has so much as seen a band could find it anything short of hilarious, but my friends just sort of stare at me as I laugh my head off watching it.

"What do I think of him? I think he's a banker."

EtherForBreakfast said:
A drummer who needs 50-60 takes?! What is going to happen when you play live?

back in june, we tracked drums for a 3 song EP...i finally forced our drummer to do the whole thing (even tho one song had 13 tempo changes o_O ) to a click track with scratch guitars

it was his first recording experience playing to a click track, and he didn't know that particular section very well

when we play it live now...he nails it everytime ;)

and his timing (especially on those tunes) has improved 100% :Spin:

Question, if you use pads for the toms/snare/bassdrum and real cymbals. Will the overheads pick up the sound of the drummer hitting the pads? Or will that just disapear in the mix itself?

If you look back a few pages, you can see I used to use a hybrid kit. I guess it really depends on the pads. V-drums really didn't make much of an issue.

If anything is picked up, I'm guessing it would just add to the overall attack on the snare/toms. Just make sure you're phase aligned!

-0z-

I would love some opinions on this. If you guys could choose between Sennheiser's MD421 or e604, which mic would you want for capturing the toms? Pro's or Con's? Oz mentioned both in the beginning of this thread, so I was wondering if they are both equally awesome, or if people think one is actually better than the other. And or, Is something else out there that's better, but ofcourse, reasonably priced?

Shure Beta 98's are also another great choice on tom's. I've never had a chance to A/B them with either of those two mic's. Also, the beta 98's are also a bit cheaper then the sennheiser's, yet the sound quality doesn't suffer for the difference!

riffmachine said:
I would love some opinions on this. If you guys could choose between Sennheiser's MD421 or e604, which mic would you want for capturing the toms? Pro's or Con's? Oz mentioned both in the beginning of this thread, so I was wondering if they are both equally awesome, or if people think one is actually better than the other. And or, Is something else out there that's better, but ofcourse, reasonably priced?

I'd say 421's if you can afford it. These are pretty much the defacto tom mic. If you have less money to spend, go with the e604s. You can find 3 packs of these for a discount if you look around, as well.

-0z-

riffmachine said:
I definitely prefer the sound of the 421's. They've got a great attack. The 604's sound sort of 57ish to me on toms...The only real advantage of the 604 's besides price is that they are extremely easy to place due to their size.

egan. said:
The 604's sound sort of 57ish to me on toms...The only real advantage of the 604 's besides price is that they are extremely easy to place due to their size.

Yeah, when I A/B'd them I kind of liked the 57's better though similar. Then again I wasn't using a very good kit so take it for what it's worth.