Acoustic guitar: advices on microphone

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hi,

I'm looking for the best possible mic to record acoustic guitars at around 200€. I would like something warm and natural. After some researches, I think the Cascade Fathead is a great option. If some of you know this mic, I'd like to have some advice.

I can get both the first and the second version. Which one should I buy?
Also, is the Lundahl transfo really worthy?

Oh and it will be coupled with a GAP Pre73.

I can still change my mind so feel free to advise me other microphones! Thanks!

In my opinion the Oktava MK012 or MC012 is easily the best acoustic guitar mic in that budget range. In a recording class I used to teach, we even did a shootout of about 20 great mics on acoustic guitar, and the Oktava came out on top alongside the AKG C414 and Beyerdynamic MC930 (we listened to the results blind).

EDIT - I should also mention (since you're looking at a ribbon mic) our shootout included a Royer R121 and a Beyerdynamic M160, both of which are excellent mics, but yield a very dark/smooth/bassy tone in comparison to something like the Oktava. This is great when you need it, but I wouldn't recommend a ribbon as a first/only dedicated acoustic mic.

Thanks a lot guys! For some reason I thought that a ribbon mic would be the best choice. I'll take a look at the Oktava!!

I agree with what's being said here about ribbons. Especially if you're a fingerpicker, a ribbon mic won't bring out all of the detail you want.

Thank you, I like the way it sounds.
I just saw a pair (built in Russia) in excellent condition for 200€ in original box. I think it's a pretty fair price... These mics could be good overheads too, right? Maybe not awesome but more than decent.

Off Topic: NickL, I visited your website. I really liked your work! Could definitely be interesting for some bands I know... PM sent!

MXL 990. Place it between the 12th - 15th fret, the capsule off-axis towards the sound hole. You will NOT be disappointed. ;)

Edit: The distance would depend on how much low-end you want, and how much your guitar produces. Keep it generally close.

MXL 990. Place it between the 12th - 15th fret, the capsule off-axis towards the sound hole. You will NOT be disappointed. ;)

Edit: The distance would depend on how much low-end you want, and how much your guitar produces. Keep it generally close.

That is the optimum position. I've tried a whole load of LDCs on acoustic and none really sounded bad, just different. I think the guitar and player are more important in this situation

I think the guitar and player are more important in this situation

This is most definitely true. I would go with the Oktava for sure. The mxl's tend to be a bit more 'brittle' sounding, so if you have a thinner sounding guitar they'll make it even worse. You can have the Oktava's modified as well, and they sound even better. They work GREAT on overheads too.

With acoustic guitar, you typically don't have them all alone as the feature instrument, so I tend to rarely use ribbons on them. The ribbon will give you a fatter, warmer sound, and when trying to make that work in a mix, you'll most likely be adding highs. So just go with the mic that gives you that in the first place.

My fav mic/ go to on acoustic is the Neumann km84, of which the Oktava is the by far best budget alternative.

Well, I always had shitty acoustic guitar and crappy mic & mic pre to record them. The result was thin, harsh, with no consistence. That's why I thought a good ribbon mic could help. But you're right mva801 about highs and my main use won't be for acoustic bands but just for acoustic parts in Metal or Rock songs. Great to have opinions!

I recorded myself with a KM184 once for my own band (acoustic guitar parts) and it sounded great! But "a bit" more expensive too :)

anyone use those audix adx51 condensers on acoustic guitars? I'm thinking about buying the drum mic package which comes with an i5, d6 and two of the adx51s. Would be nice if they sounded good on acoustic guitars as well. I've heard some clips and I thought it sounded good but I didn't really have any others for reference. Down the line I probably will save for those oktavas.

+1 on the AT4033

i like to pair it with an SM81...4033 towards the body, 81 up by the neck, both angled towards the soundhole. works like a charm every time.

Sorry to chime in. So if I want a mic so capture acoustic guitar and vocals too a mic like the at4033 would be best? Those small condenser mics sound awesome but I can't afford buying two different as a student.

Seriously? This mic is cheap as fuck :)
Did you compare it to the MK02?

It's the grainy characteristic of the MXL990 microphone that really influences the instrument's timbre and the pick/finger attack. I haven't compared it to the MK02 but did with a NT1A and 4040. Both of them latter ones seem to have this hissy thing going on.

Get one used if needed. We can never have too many mics.

FYI, sounds better with isolation.

Does no one use an LDC/SDC combo? Seems like everyone's comments are mentioning going with a pair of SDCs... I've always used an LDC at the bridge, and an SDC at the 12th fret?