acoustic guitar: help needed for a newbie.

changso

Neverending dreamer...
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Hi there!

Well, I just bought an acoustic guitar but I'm really lacking from technical knowledge so I would like to know which Opeth acoustic riff is good to start with???

Also, somebody told me that Mikael was left handed, is he right? I mean, I always thought he was right handed...

thanks for you help...

look to the live videos... he is right handed, no doubt about it. who said he is left handed?

if you want some opeth stuff to play, check my acoustic opeth tabs on the opethbb.tripod.com page, under my profile.

then, tell me if you have problems playing guitar. you can start with the acoustic riff in black rose immortal, after the sound of streaming waters, they're just minor chords which slide up and down.

then, tell me if you have problems playing guitar. you can start with the acoustic riff in black rose immortal, after the sound of streaming waters, they're just minor chords which slide up and down.

Well I tried that 9:43 riff, but man, I the hell can I place my fingers????????????????? :eek:

I mean, I've got the tabs and all, but man I can't do the 1h3 on the 6th string...please somebody help me...

Ahh, no help with the fingering but I have a song suggestion...

If you want something that's good to practice arpeggios, try Patterns In The Ivy... I think that only consists of like 4 or 5 different guitar parts and it was one of the first songs I learned.

all you can really do is play it slow at first. i used to suck at acoustic stuff, but now i'm not half bad. you just have to play it to the point of being sick of it.

look to the live videos... he is right handed, no doubt about it. who said he is left handed?
well...if you saw me playing my guitar you'd also say that i'm right handed without a doubt...

well, the riff i meant was at 4'10" on black rose immortal. there you hear waters streaming. or not?

there's no 1h3 on the 6th chord. that comes after...

so, you like my avatar... great!

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Analog Kid and/or Yayo could really help you out. AFAIK they both are trained in classical guitar or at least good at acoustic.
No classical training for me. But i do play classical guitar a lot, but im sure i have many many bad habits and poor techniques.

Originally posted by opethpainter
well, the riff i meant was at 4'10" on black rose immortal. there you hear waters streaming. or not?

there's no 1h3 on the 6th chord. that comes after...

so, you like my avatar... great!

Are you sure? that's was tab said...
it's like:

|------------------------------------------------------|
|-0----------------------------------------------------|
|---3--------------------------------------------------|
|-----3--1h3-----------------------------------------|

please somebody help me...

What's hard about that changeso? The 1h3 means your finger on the first fret followed with a hammer on the third fret. Basically you just push your finger down on the third fret without picking, hard enough to hear it.