Acoustic guitar mics...

Jan 10, 2005
Ok, so I need two microphones. Both condensor, or one condensor one ribbon, whatever. Combination has to be under $2k or like just above it ($2,100US). I need one that is fantastic for vocals, and that can be used on acoustic guitars and stringed instruments (cello, etc.), and I need one that is basically the "king" of acoustic guitar mic'ing...also needs to be able to be used on cellos and whatnot. I was thinking of a combination like...

Neumann TLM103
Royer R-121 ribbon

No? I plan on running both on any acoustic guitar I will be recording, both at once on the same guitar. Both going into a FMR Really Nice Compressor, and into a Digi002R. Input please. Latah.

~006

I think the Rode microphones are pretty good, I have a NTK (tube) and a NT1000 and I like them a lot. They both work well for vocals and they combine very well on acoustic guitars as well. And they are very under your budget, so you could get a good tube preamp bonus :). I tried a pair of AGK C-451 on acoustic guitar the other day and it sounded fantastic, I know I'll use these again ! I used them on a flute too and it was great ! But I guess that for cellos you'd better go with large diaphragm microphones tho... You could consider the AKG C-414 too.
As for your sound chain, you plan to go into the compressor before the pre-amp ? I'm not sure about this at all...
Hope this helps. (Sorry I never tried TLM103 nor R-121 so I can't comment on these)

i have had fantastic results with my Røde K2 recording my Jose Ramirez 2CWE nylon string classical acoustic.

Lol Matt....are you serious, he will just send me one so that I can try it out? I say latah at the end just by habit over years and years of posting on forums. Can't help it. Anyway, I keep hearing about this Soundelux U195, everywhere that I have posted about this at least one person has mentioned it. So maybe I should try one out. Anything else?

What about a mic mainly for vocals? Is the TLM103 not good enough or what? Heh. Anyway, keep ideas coming. Latah.

~006

I've used the TLM103 for Vocals, sounds great. Used it last night to record dialogue for a video game too.

For acoustic guitar I generally use a couple KM184's, or blend those with AT4050's.

I used to get a nice acoustic guitar sound using a combination of a C1000 pointing at the 12th fret, a Rode NT2 pointing at the centre of the soundboard bracing (I could go into the reasons why but talking about 3 dimensional modes of vibration at 11:28pm is too much for my brain) and a C414 pointing at the soundhole. All three mics are cheap enough for you to still afford a mic just for vocals.

C1000 is what brand? I didn't know the at4050 was good for acoustic guitars. Also, not saying what you guys are recommending is wrong or anything, but I thought that small diaphragm condensors were better for acoustic guitars, right? Anyway, keep the stuff coming. Latah.

~006

Ok, I found a matched pair of Josephson C42 small diaphragm FET condensors at Mercenary for $950. So there are my main acoustic mics right there, hehe. Now the question is: Neumann TLM103 or WHAT? I need this other mic for vocals, but also to use it on acoustic guitars, or anything for that matter. Something open, yet warm. I'm sure one of you know what I mean.

Also, I was told about a Pendulum Audio MDP-1, it's a dual channel class-a tube pre for mics. Looks like a solid pre, any thoughts? It's cheaper (I think) than the Avalon that I want. The guy said it has an old "hi-fi" sound that still doesn't color, which is what I want for my acoustic stuff. But then again, what about the other stuff I like to record? Thoughts? Latah.

~006