Acrylic BC Rich?

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey guys, got a chance to lay my hands on an Acrylic BC RICH Warlock with an EMG 85/81 set. Not gonna use it for stage, just studio... any thoughts?

I've heard they actually have really good acoustical properties (the uniformness of the acrylic playing a big part), so I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

Finally got it up & running. Needed some serious setup work. Man, this thing weighs a TON!!! Holy crap, has to be the heaviest guitar I've EVER picked up. Ugh. Interesting tone, though, perhaps I'll buy it.

bc.jpg

I almost bought one of those years ago, with the plan to put a graphite neck on it. I'll bet that heavy-ass ultra rigid body with a neck upgrade could make for some seriously chunky tones. Maybe a rosewood neck would do the trick. Whatever you do, remember that buying another guitar is always the right decision.

Eep... I hope it's super super super super cheap, I don't think someone could pay me to own one of those guitars... BC Rich guitars are not what they were 20-25 years ago... Back then they were made of wood, you know, material that resonates in a musical way...

Those things ARE heavy as hell though haha, you're right about that one Oz!

It's got EMGs in it though which are notorious for sounding awfully similar despite what the guitar is made out of, so if it floats your boat, give 'er! I don't think you'll be picking that up very often with that Schecter sitting across the room though :lol:

That is a truly kick ass guitar. I've wanted one of those for quite a while.
We actually asked Robb from Machine Head last night if we could have his...he said no. :(

It's got EMGs in it though which are notorious for sounding awfully similar despite what the guitar is made out of,

I'm gonna call BULLSHIT! on that statement. :) Go EMG or go home. I'm hearing plenty of difference between it, my Hellraiser & my Rhoads V.... all loaded with EMGs.

I'll take EMG over DiMarzio or Duncan any day.

Rosewood neck with jet black ebony board goes for $309.00 from Warmoth. DO IT! DO IT!!! The love of METAL compels you!!!:headbang:

I'm gonna call BULLSHIT! on that statement. :) Go EMG or go home. I'm hearing plenty of difference between it, my Hellraiser & my Rhoads V.... all loaded with EMGs.

I'll take EMG over DiMarzio or Duncan any day.

Of course there is going to be a difference, but the body material plays WAY less of a role in the guitars sound with EMGs than with passive pickups.

BTW, there are a lot of passive pickups out there that own EMGs... Duncan, Dimarzio and EMG aren't the only pickup companies out there ;)

http://www.adderpluspickups.com/
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/
http://www.stanhinesleypickups.com/

I may not be the recording guru that you guys are, but I've been an absolute guitar gear nut for the past 12 years so you can at least take my word with more than a grain of salt when it comes to guitar stuff! :kickass::lol:

Seriously Oz, I'm an EMG fan too, my guitar here at work has an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck, sounds fucking killer! My Carvin at home has Carvin's own passive pickups though and it sounds even better! If we manage to setup a time to do some tracking this spring like we were talking about via PM you'll have to check it out man! :kickass:

That guitar must cost a lot of money, but i think because of it's heavy body properties, the tone would be pretty awesome. I personally just hate B.C.Rich because they're pretty overpriced for all of the shitty wood and parts they use.