Act of Defiance album made using IRs...?

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I read in an interview that Chris Broderick used Axe-FX plus a bunch of IRs he made himself for their debut album.

That's kind of a surprise to me... From my very simple experience, IRs always sound a bit lifeless.

I like to think of myself as being open-minded, but I was a bit disapointed to read that they used IRs instead of traditional tube amp + mic.

The album sounds quite good, but I must admit I felt that guitar tone to be a bit fake... was wondering why. Now I know!!! XD

I don't know the album tbh but if it sounds a bit fake to your ears, it may have to do with the Axe FX more than the IRs imo. I personally use IRs with real amps regularly - as it allows me to reamp by night - and it can sound really good of the IRs are good. The only complain is that I prefer to create a tone from zero (mics & cabs combinations/choice/placement, etc.).

I don't know the album tbh but if it sounds a bit fake to your ears, it may have to do with the Axe FX more than the IRs imo. I personally use IRs with real amps regularly - as it allows me to reamp by night - and it can sound really good of the IRs are good. The only complain is that I prefer to create a tone from zero (mics & cabs combinations/choice/placement, etc.).

I agree that they sound good, however I always find something. I think the best term I could use is that I find them to be"static". I typically use the ones from Rosen Digital. I have tried Two Notes and didn't like them at all. I have also tried the ones from Recabinet. They are nice, but I wasn't able to get a tone that I like. It's just that I found the Rosen Digitals sounded good right off the bat.

But you're right, I've never been a huge fan of the Axe FX. I prefer the Kempler.

Are there are lot of albums currently recorded with IRs?