actives

May 23, 2007
ok guys i have a prs se custom and i want to swap out the stock pickups as im looking to upgrade. ive found an emg 60 for dirt cheap currently but i dont know weather to switch to actives i know you guys rave about them so im expecting and overwhelming positive response but can anyone tell me some good reasons apart from "the tone" i never play completely clean with this guitar so that issues removed i suppose. And will the 60 work well with my mahogany guitar im aiming to combine with an 81, an 81tw or an 89 if its any relevance, playing mainly melodic metal and hardcore with progressive elements so a few crunchy cleans and tapping if again this helps. cheers

I have a Washburn RS 10v (PRS copy from the 80's. I had the 81-85 combo in it, and it had a killer tone (other then the sound from the graphite fretboard) And its a mahogany body/neck maple top. And my USA kramer vanguard has an 81 in the bridge, mahogany body/maple neck, really sharp and clear tone a bit darker sounding than the washburn with the lack of a maple top. Either way, the active EMG's add a huge crushing tone

It really comes down to preference. To me, EMGs usually provide instant gratification and do sound quite crushing if you are looking for a tight, clear metal sound. While this is true, I do believe (personally) that passives generally provide a more open and organic tone. There is also a gigantic variety when it comes to passive pickups. It really comes down to whether or not you enjoy the very specific sound of EMGs.

-Joe

It really comes down to preference. To me, EMGs usually provide instant gratification and do sound quite crushing if you are looking for a tight, clear metal sound. While this is true, I do believe (personally) that passives generally provide a more open and organic tone. There is also a gigantic variety when it comes to passive pickups. It really comes down to whether or not you enjoy the very specific sound of EMGs.

-Joe

What he said. Oh and EMGs sound pretty sterlie and soulless clean.
They are definitely "one trick poney" pickups, but they sure as hell do that one trick exceedingly well! :headbang:

Going back to your original question, you will need 25K pots, a stereo jack, battery clip and space for the 9v battery before you can fit the EMG properly.

Another big plus for EMGs is the lack of interference noise.

Yeah, I suppose I'll begrudgingly admit that EMG's have a very specific sound (but I fucking love it), and are "sterile and soulless" clean (clean being the key word there), but GOD HELP ANYONE THAT COMES IN SPEWING THAT NONSENSE THAT THEY MAKE ALL GUITARS SOUND THE SAME... :mad:

Haha I hate hearing people say that EMG's make all guitars sound excatly the same. Every Guitar I've played with EMG's sound quite different, but all sonically perfected for the metal gods, Like a goat is sacrificed for each note played to ensure its heard all the way to the depths of hell. Maybe EMG means Electrically Murdering Goats?

I wouldn't say they sound exactly the same in any guitar, BUT I do think that they sound much more similar in different guitars than say a passive Duncan would sound in said guitars.

-Joe

I wouldn't say they sound exactly the same in any guitar, BUT I do think that they sound much more similar in different guitars than say a passive Duncan would sound in said guitars.

-Joe

murderscene.jpg

Still, you're treading on thin ice buddy, and that pic is gonna be you if you're not careful! :heh: Nah, of course I'm kidding, but really, every pickup, active or passive, has a distinct sound - we wouldn't be picky about pickups if they didn't! So of course a JB is always gonna sound like a JB in every guitar, but I don't see any reason why it'll be to any less of a degree than an EMG81 (or especially 85) would - the only difference with actives is an internal pre-amp (as you don't need me to tell you), so I just don't see how that would act as any neutralizer as to the effects of body/neck wood/shape on tone!

Still, you're treading on thin ice buddy, and that pic is gonna be you if you're not careful! :heh: Nah, of course I'm kidding, but really, every pickup, active or passive, has a distinct sound - we wouldn't be picky about pickups if they didn't! So of course a JB is always gonna sound like a JB in every guitar, but I don't see any reason why it'll be to any less of a degree than an EMG81 (or especially 85) would...

I suppose you are right in a sense...it could just be a complex due to the fact that the EMG sound is VERY recognizable. If you hear an 81 you can instantly pick it out. With a JB, Distortion, or Custom...not so much.

-Joe

Hmm, fair enough, I admit when it comes to the differences passives make in different guitars I don't have any experience to back it up (just theory), but I definitely have owned/played enough EMG-81 equipped guitars to know there are definitely differences between them! (not saying anyone was disputing that, just making clear that I'm not TOTALLY talking out of my ass :D)

I agree with Joe here, and done way too many pickup swaps to back it up with. EMG's sound different in different guitars, but not quite as different as passives do.

For real dude.

You have had so much gear. It's cool though cause I get to live out my gear buying dreams through your clips and amp tests.

the difference in tone between my shitty £120 strat copy and my LTD MH400, both with an EMG 81 in the bridge, is huge.

And the dreadful thing is........sometimes i feel like the cheap shit one sounds better.........:ill:
but only very very occasionally :p