ADA MP-1

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
I trying to get a late 80's early 90's metal sound out of an ADA MP-1 with a mosvalve 500 poweramp and a genz benz gflex 2x12 cab. Something like Pantera, Metallica black album or Overkill's Horrorscope and for some songs, a Type O Negative sound. Anyone have any pointers. I'm not completely satisfied with the results I'm getting yet but I've been used to using modelers. I don't have a tone sample I can give yet. What do you guys think of this gear btw? Anyone else have links to tones they have gotten with the ADA MP1?

http://adadepot.com/index.php

I have one of these and like them very much.

Setting-wise, I like to set both ODs to 10, bass around 6-ish, mids -6-ish, treble 6-ish.

I also found putting a tube screamer in front of it helps to really tighten up the bottom end as well.

I find the sound to be way too thin with the bass that low. I usually have it at 12 or 16. Although at 16 there is a big jump and it does get a bit flubby without a tube screamer

Maybe look into the many mods that can be done on the MP-1? I think they're generally more for your 80's hair metal style without mods.

I bought an MP-1 when they came out,probably in '88 or '89.I eventually ended up buying a parametric eq to get the sound I was looking for.They're very noisy so I put a Rocktron Hush unit in the effects loop.I sold it when the MP-2 came out,in '93 I think,as the MP-2 had built in noise reduction and much better eq,as well as a compressor and wha and 10 different channels.There used to be a place that modded them,ADA Depot,but I think they're out of business.There's a website for the ADA stuff,with all sorts of info and mods. http://www.adadepot.com/

I have a boss graphic eq pedal that I could try in the loop. Actually I just finished doing a tone test with the ADA and a tube screamer in front.

I have two and pretty much detest them for anything but cock rock leads. One is a Mod IV Mk. II that is supposed to sound more "Marshally". I like the stock better. I've been thinking about modding the Mod IV into a 3.666. The MP-2 is in my humble opinion, a vastly superior unit (I have that thing too).

Wagener ran a PEQ-3 into the MP-1, to cut the bass, so I suppose a TS is, necessary ;)

seems like there isn't enough bass except when it is cranked all the way.

I have two and pretty much detest them for anything but cock rock leads. One is a Mod IV Mk. II that is supposed to sound more "Marshally". I like the stock better. I've been thinking about modding the Mod IV into a 3.666. The MP-2 is in my humble opinion, a vastly superior unit (I have that thing too).

Wagener ran a PEQ-3 into the MP-1, to cut the bass, so I suppose a TS is, necessary ;)
Yes I agree,the MP-2 is a great improvement,adding the noise gate,compressor,wha,graphic eq,stereo midi volume control,room eq,cab sims,etc.When I bought mine new in '93 it was around $700 at Factory Music,the big ADA retailer in the area(Boston).I sold my MP-1 for $350 so it paid for 1/2 of the MP-2.I had a Rane Pe-15 parametric eq and a BBE 462 that I used with the MP-1 as well as the Hush unit.I ran it stereo into the effects return of a Metaltronix M1000 on one side and a Marshall 2555 Jubilee on the other into 2 1969 Marshall 4x12 cabs with Greenbacks(2555) and a Marshall 4x12 with V30s and an EAW 4x12 with V30s(M1000).I still have the M1000,2555,and EAW 4x12 sitting in Anvil road cases.

Holy shit Slicklickz, that must have been one hell of a rig back in the day :) I've worked with EAW PA's (KF730 & KF760 series line arrays, as well as some of their point source systems), never knew they made a 4x12!

I paid something like 500 Euros for one of my MP1's, but that came with a Mesa Strategy 500 and a homemade 2x12 with V30s to boot. The other, stock MP1, cost me 60 euros last year used :) And the MP-2 I got for free from a friend :D

I saw a guy using a metal zone for the front end boost on one at a show before, despite that combo it sounded pretty beastly, and it was going through a Carvin power amp and Carvin 4x12 in a wheeled road case. May have been modded, I didn't ask him.