Add your Master of Illusion reviews here

I guess I'm going to be the only person to say something not totally positive.
Master of Illusion, I personally think, was a step in a strange direction.
Much like Dragonforce, it seems that sound changes with publicity.
I loved every album up until this one to a point that my metal heart could
not hold. Everything was so happy, so uplifting, so joyful. When I listened to
Temple of Fire, my spirit was just shot up. Same thing with Glory Tonight, or Far Away.
I understand that after a certain time, a band can become bored of their sound
and try something new, but I personally thought this was too much. The intro to
"Civilized" followed the same rhythm as Through the Fire and the Flames from Dragonforce.
Don't get me wrong though, I love the old school sounding tracks like Kings of Eternity, (even
though it plummets at the introduction of the verse riff) Hearts and Voices and Cemetery Gates.
I also find it kinda funny how there is a track called Never Again, yet they had Bill Hudson
from Cellador to guest, and he didn't say anything that Cellador had a song with the same name.

Anyway, I appreciated the MegaDeth cover of Reckoning Day, and I think it was done very well.
I feel like I'm a devil in this situation because I'm one of the only who didn't like the album
as much as I should have, but I truly hope that PowerQuest won't stray too far from their
old school, uplifting and joyful sound.

I know you guys worked very hard on this, and I am happy for you. :)

6.5/10

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so don't worry. In a sense I can agree with you. It is a good album, but maybe not 'the usual' that we've come to expect from PQ. I, too, am a big fan of the previous records (just read my reviews ...), and I had a hard time with MOI at first, but it grew on me. As long as they keep including songs like "Kings of Eternity" and "The Vigil", I'm happy. This just means there are so many more sides to this band, which means that, basically, there are songs for every type of mood one might be in. A good thing, if you ask me.

index.cfm

Only a small input, but here goes =P

Having not heard any album by PQ before MoI, I will be judging it as being the first PQ album I've heard. I must say, it is almost faultless!! After having about 2 years of constant listening to DF, I think PQ are a lot better! I find that everything is done a lot better than DF. DF have definetly gone in a "what-the-public-want" direction, whereas PQ sound like they write songs for the enjoyment of it, regardless of if the public like it or not. To tell you the truth, it's worked! The public love it, PQ seem to love writing it, so all in all, a awesome album! Hopefully future albums will be even better with Bill onboard! Keep on rockin' :headbang:
9.5/10 (nobody's perfect, eh! If you could make it an endless album with unlimited songs then maybe 9.9/10 :lol:)

:headbang:Kieran:headbang:

Reviews from Play.com:

"This is an ok album. I bought it after reading the previous review and to be honest I regret forking out £11 for it! The music is not bad but its nothing special either. For any fan of power metal I would advise to avoid this and buy Firewind or Hammerfall instead."
3/5
MaximumMaiden

"This new album is the best release from UK Power Metallers Power Quest. Not only is the guest list quite impressive, but the 5 guys introduced the next professional level to their music arrangements. Cemetary Gates and Kings of Eternity are my personal favourites, outstanding tracks! But in fact ALL songs are brilliant. MUST buy for any fan of metal, power metal and rock!"
5/5
mhappy

Slaughterama - Magazine from New Zealand

POWER QUEST - MASTER OF ILLUSION
Napalm Records
Power Quest were relatively unheard of here in New Zealand (until now that
is!). What we have here is the secret twin brother of DragonForce, but like
most twins there are some important differences. Power Quest are a little
slower, a stronger emphasis is placed on the keyboard section, and their
subject matter is also more varied. But like DragonForce the songs are easy
to get into, the production value and musical abilities are all top notch,
and both bands feature a Kiwi musician! So do yourself a favor and buy this
album, as well as their other 3 releases! 9/10

POWER QUEST album voted 2nd best release in 2008

The french webzine www.seigneursdumetal.fr have set their 2008 TOP 10 albums:

TOP 10 2008 Lionel

01) SERENITY – Fallen Sanctuary
02) POWER QUEST – Master of Illusion
03) SAINT DAEMON – In shadows lost from the brave
04) NICKELBACK – Dark horse
05) QUEEN AND PAUL RODGERS– Cosmos Rocks
06) DIGNITY – Project Destiny
07) ZEBRAHEAD – Phoenix
08) ARTAS – The Healing
09) VOLBEAT – Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac blood
10) WITHIN TEMPTATION – Black Symphony

i thought i was really good! why is it so hard to get your cd's in america? WE NEED MORE POWER METAL!!!!!! you guys are one of the greatest power metal bands ever but you are not near as popular as you could be! a review from me let's see. my least favorite song was the vigil, i didn't care for the grungy voice. my favorite was save the world, that song is my favorite from you, and probably my third favorite power metal song ever (only starfall by dragonland and hero's of our time by dragonforce beat it) human machine was a little slow for me. you can't help but love that song kings of eternity! master of illusion had amazing keybords!!! i wouldn't say cemetery gates is this albums "far away" i though it was 100000000 times better. hearts and voices is very catchy. and i love the lyrics to never again!!

great album, i must say. kings of eternity sticks in my mind a lot. the song structure and the melody of that song, it's awesome.

With Blood Alliance on it's way it's nice to put things into perspective. I wondered what might be the ultimate score for Master of Illusion given all these pages of reviews so since nothing showed up on Metacritic and because I'm that kind of nerd and always jump at the chance to earn PQ fanboy points, I worked it out.

pqmoiscore.png

Discounting user/customer reviews, those from personal webpages and obviously those without a ranking there's about 82 scores which work out to an average score of 76%. I'm sure there's a more scientific way of doing it but there's my rough attempt. Importantly there are a lot of other reviews out there not included, user reviews would undoubtedly change the score a lot and other professional reviews gave favourable reviews, for example, but couldn't be quantified into a score - so the metascore isn't completely representative :headbang:

Hey guys!

Just found this forum from the PQ website when I was looking for details of the next album... safe to say I'm pretty excited.

Anyway, sorry if this is bumping the thread (and the review is indeed very late!), but I figured I'd post this review of Master of Illusion that I wrote a little while ago - it got a 4/5 in my book!

(The site may be a little slow to load, give it a minute.)

Cheers!