Add your Master of Illusion reviews here

http://www.live4metal.com/reviews-618.htm

Power Quest - Master of Illusion (Napalm Records) Review by James Young

Power Quest as a band have matured throughout the years without losing any of their original charm, and Master of Illusion is a bold statement about where the Anglo-Italian melodic power metallers stand now. Much has changed since their debut Wings of Forever, which whilst enjoyable, didn’t separate itself from the power metal crowd. Neverworld and Magic Never Dies managed to implement a hard rock-meets-AOR edge which took things up many a notch, and here we stand a couple of years later with a new release. Firstly I thought I really had experienced an illusion when there was a lack of an instrumental intro song, not to mention being shocked at the absence of a lighters-in-the-air ballad, which I
thought was mandatory for this band. Also surprising was the way in which the rock elements are played down, and have been exchanged for a slightly more keyboard-driven sound, borrowing elements from Finnish power metal in some places and prog-power metal in others. A whole host of well-known names in the metal world appear on this album, which may help to explain the range of influences in this album, with guest appearances from Pagan’s Mind, Cellador, Firewind, Threshold and Fourwaykill.
As expected, Alessio Garavello’s vocals have that warm Italian edge to them, with some occasional balls-in-vice moments that we’ve all come to love. Garavello has recently been recruited as a second guitarist, and the twin guitars bring the sound to a new level, and the solos especially seem to have more emotion and feeling than before. Steve Williams’ keyboards have always been a huge selling point of the band, and they have never been so experimental and exciting as on this album – the leads in ‘Civilised?’ and ‘Master of Illusion’ are fantastic, and are certainly up there with the band’s best moments. The progressiveness of the music comes out in full force at points in ‘Save The World’ and ‘I Don’t Believe In Friends Forever’, the latter of which is the closest that this album gets to a ballad. Francesco Tresca’s drumming shows a great diversity, and this can be seen especially in the songs which draw influence from the Finnish power metal scene, with ‘The Vigil’ and ‘Never Again’ containing some faster licks that we might usually associate with Sonata Arctica and Children of Bodom. The only song which one may be able to criticise as ‘generic’ could be ‘Kings of Eternity’, but it’s a nice nod to the old style of the band, not to mention nostalgic for the old fans. The one real problem I have with this album are the guest shouts from Chris Neighbour on ‘The Vigil’, which I really don’t like at all, although they get full marks for surprise factor – I never thought I’d hear extreme vocals on a Power Quest album!
There are going to be a few Power Quest faithful who don’t need to be told twice to buy this album, but for those doubters out there, give this album a shot, because it really is a top piece of power metal. The UK seems to be known as a one-trick pony for the genre with such a massive focus on Dragonforce, but with such quality as this floating around, this Anglo-Italian outfit simply cannot be ignored.
www.napalmrecords.com | www.power-quest.co.uk | www.myspace.com/powerquest

POWERQUEST – MASTER OF ILLUSION (NAPALM RECORDS)

Well here was a surprise and no mistake! Sometimes album of the month award goes to a completely new band who have come along and blown me away, yet not this month. I must admit that I have known the band quite closely even before they formed proper sometime around 2001 and so have been witness to their intriguing rise to success. So whilst I’m sure the band are not going to commit me to writing the definitive biography in hardback just yet, I may be better informed than usual when discussing this Anglo-Italian troupe. PQ was the brainchild if you will of Keyboard Player Steve Williams who lives on the coast of England (not fat from Virtuosa towers as it happens). The usual line up difficulties and possibilities came and went, yet for the sort of music Steve had in mind, he did what many artists are doing these days, and looked beyond the somewhat limited breeeding ground of the UK and towards the fruitful shores of Italy where he found what was to become the second half of the line up we know and love today. PQ play upbeat and catchy symphonic speed metal (which is a particular well made home grown recipie of the Italians anyway!) yet what make them stand apart from the other 2000 bands playing this is the sense of pomp and the use of bright and vibrant Keys which hint at something slightly more progresive. The first 2 albums were well received and the band wasted no time in playing the UK. A change of record company ensued (from Frontiers to Majestic) and the band kept the momentum going with 3rd album ‘Magic Never Dies’, not only cultivating a sound which was maturing and growing in identity more each day, but by now supporting the likes of Angra and Helloween and playing with the likes of Pagans Mind and others of that ilk. That aside however, Majestic did seem a little lost with this band and so by changing to the more steady Napalm Records, this move has done the band wonders. So after a gap of 3 years it was going to have to be a damn good album to put PQ back on the map and compete with the ever raising stakes, such is the genre at present. And that’s exacely what they’ve done. I won’t say that PQ have re-invented themselves because that’s going a bit far, but they have certainly made an album which I think is unquestionaly their best so far and one that see’s the band operating on a level and a drive that I just didn’t expect. Firstly this is the first album the band have made using a different studio (as opposed to their usual haunt of Thin Ice in the UK) and I must admit that my worries of a dip in sound quality were blown aside upon 5 seonds of the thunderous opening track, ‘Cemetary Gates’. So whats so good about the music? Well, like I just said, this is still using the best elements of the PQ sound, but then building on it an album that is richer, more diverse and more complete sounding than their previous work. Certainly more progressive too. The band have not gone for 10 speed songs this time, but utilised some slower more mid-paced songs such as ‘Human Machine’ and ‘Civilised’, and the result has worked absolute wonders. Check out the Richard Andersson Keyboard styled lead lines on ‘Cemetary Gates’ and ‘Civilised’! Go Steve. The Guitars and Drums are more up-front in the mix, and I must admit that as far as Drummers go Francesco Tresca is one of the most inspired and amazing skinsman I have heard in a long time…some of his stuff here is just on fire! For the PQ fan wanting the older style anthems there is still stuff in that vein like ‘Kings of Eternity’ or ‘Never Again’, yet they now sit comfortably alongside more modern influences that make the album much more complete. This album will put a huge smile on your face and cheer you up for the whole year, so up-beat and energetic is it, and with guest appearences from members of Pagans Mind, Firewind, Threshold, Four Way Kill and Coldera, how can you possibly pass it by! A superb acheivment and I only hope the next one comes quick!

Nick Hinton-Editor of Virtuosa magazine (which unfortunately is longer in existance

http://www.melodichardrocktoday.tk/ 96/100

Power Quest was started in 2001 by keyboardist Steve Williams and Steve Scott. The band released their first album Wings Of Forever in 2002, with singer Alessio Garavello and guitarplayer Andrea Martongelli. The band continued their career with the album Neverworld in March 2004. They toured with Threshold, Dream Evil and Labyrinth the same year. Magic Never Dies was released in 2005 and the band continued touring in 2005-06. In February 2007 the band headed to Europe for a three-week tour, supporting Angra and Firewind. A new recording deal was negotiated with Austrian label Napalm Records, and in October 2007 the band entered studio to record their fourth album Master Of Illusion.

Power Quest impresses me every time they release an album. With Master Of Illusion they climb one step further with their style and as a band. What make Power Quest one of my absolute favorite bands in the power/ melodic metal genre, is their good melodies with very good vocals and great musicians. As their earlier releases, the production is on a very high level and the instrumental skills from the band is delicate with nice details in every direction. The keys are perfectly arranged and compared with earlier releases I feel they has got a more modern electronic touch this time. The opener Cemetary Gates is a classic power metal oriented song of the finest mark. The nice melodic verses lead us to choruses who will get stuck to your head immediately. Human Machine starts with a progressive touch, but gets a more melodic metal oriented style, and what a nice song this is! A great melody with a rememberable chorus and instrumentation you will love! Civilised? continues in the same direction as the last. The heavy precise riffs on the guitar and the key solo is awesome listening and with top notch vocals and a cool melody and great choruses this song is just fabulous! Kings Of Eternity is a more uptempo song, but still with the melody intact, and this is one of the things this band is really fantastic on doing. Master Of Illusion is a song that eminently presents many of the musical directions from Power Quest. A song with small progressive tendencies, fantastic melodic parts and uptempo parts with great instrumentation and strong choruses. The Vigil starts symphonic, and this is one of my favorite songs on the disc. The way the vocals and choirs are arranged in this song is really cool. Save The World is a hit and a song who easily get stuck into your head. You will find yourself singing to it after a couple of rounds in the player. The first time I heard Hearts And Voices it reminded me about a melodic song line from a song with the band Saga. A pearl of a song with one of the best melody lines and chorus lines ever made from Power Quest. I Don`t Believe In Friends Forever is one of the most experimental songs on the disc. A song that grows for each time I hear it, and it also has one of the strongest choruses on the album. The last song, Never Again, is an uptempo song and as every other song on this album it really is a fantastic piece of artistic work. It's hard to know, but I think this album will be one of the top albums this year in its genre from many metal-magazines and reviewers around the world.