Add your Master of Illusion reviews here

Well, after 143 pages of ICT Coursework :loco: I’m back to write my review of Master of Illusion:

Where do I start? I guess the first thing that hits you with this album is the production quality, the depth of the music (now with two guitars since Alessio took over rhythm guitar duties) and how much the band have progressed since ‘Magic Never Dies’. The songs do not go at a break-neck speed all the way through but they do not need to, this is bombastic power metal at its finest and purest.
The chorus’ in the songs are so infectious that you find yourself subconsciously singing along after just the first listen, ‘Master of Illusion’ and ‘The Vigil’ spring to mind, quickly followed by the rest of the album.
As for ‘Stand out’ tracks I simply cannot differentiate these from the rest of the songs on the album, although people will undoubtedly have their favourites. On many albums there are songs that you want to skip just to get to that one track you love so much, simply because the other songs are just not at the same standard. I am very pleased to say that this album belongs to a very small group of albums that maintain the same degree of quality all the way through, when one track ends, you can’t wait for the next one to begin; that’s how amazing ‘Master of Illusion’ really is.
You may be thinking that this review is so positive because I am a huge fan of the band, on the contrary, as a huge fan I am also one of their harshest critics. There were songs on their previous release that just didn’t grab me in the same way as those on ‘Master of Illusion’ despite being solid power metal songs. Put simply, this album may not redefine the genre, but instead gives it the kick up the ass it needed and shows us all how it’s meant to be done.
I can’t believe I almost forgot the special guests that make this album extra special; Bill Hudson’s solo on ‘The Vigil’ being my personal favourite. Other guests on the album include none other than Threshold’ Richard West, Bob Katsionis of Firewind, Jorn Vigo Lofstad of Pagan’s Mind and Chris Neighbour from Four Way Kill who each add their unique elements to this outstanding album that may never leave my CD player.
Power Quest is destined to become a household name in the power metal scene and not before time.

A well deserved 10/10 :worship: See you on the Tour of Illusion :headbang:

http://www.friday13thmetal.co.uk/albums/Page 6 - Reviews/pounding_metal.htm

Power Quest "Master Of Illusion" Napalm ***

Power Quest is a band that was formed back in 2001 by ex keyboard wizard Steve Williams, formely with Dragon Heart (now Dragon Force), when Steve decided to form a band which had more to offer and Steve has done just that. I really don't like Dragon Force, Ok there great musicians, but there music is so boring and Sammie. Steve has created something that has more to offer, OK so Power Quest might of started with hints of Dragon Heart (Force), but over the years Steve and the band have created something that they truly believe in. Power Quest I am sure have head a few line-up changes, but theres nothing wrong with that in order to get the perfect line-up. Steve is joined by Alessio Garavello (vocals), Andrea Martongelli (guitar), Steve Scott (bass) and Francesco Tresca (drums). Mainly the band hail from Italy. The band have recorded albums with Threshold guitarist Karl Groom & the bands debut album titled 'Wings Of Forever' saw impressive results as the band were praised by fans and press world-wide. The band went on to record their 2nd album titled 'Neverworld', which saw the band moving up the ladder with both fans and press alike. Next came 'Magic Never Dies' was released in 2005 and is now followed up by this new album titled 'Master Of Illusion', for new label Napalm Records. I have to say Steve is a great keyboard player, and so are the rest of the band, but I haven't been a great fans of this type of True/ Symphonic Metal stuff, saying that this new album is impressive stuff. Slightly different to what I was expecting, instead of the album been pretty fast like Dragon Force, Power Quest have decided to take a different approach slightly with less speed songs and more melodic arrangements. This has proved to be an impressive album for me, and I am sure the next one will bring more success, I know the band are now on the right track to success. I wish them well!! There are 10 trax of pure metal here, and check out: Cemetery Gates, Human Machine, Civilised, Kings Of Eternity, Save The World, I Don't Believe In Friends Forever. A decent album, give it a try, and best of luck to them. I should also point out Steve has now become the keyboardist for DSG, what a great band, good luck Steve!!!

Well, after 143 pages of ICT Coursework :loco: I’m back to write my review of Master of Illusion:

Where do I start? I guess the first thing that hits you with this album is the production quality, the depth of the music (now with two guitars since Alessio took over rhythm guitar duties) and how much the band have progressed since ‘Magic Never Dies’. The songs do not go at a break-neck speed all the way through but they do not need to, this is bombastic power metal at its finest and purest.
The chorus’ in the songs are so infectious that you find yourself subconsciously singing along after just the first listen, ‘Master of Illusion’ and ‘The Vigil’ spring to mind, quickly followed by the rest of the album.
As for ‘Stand out’ tracks I simply cannot differentiate these from the rest of the songs on the album, although people will undoubtedly have their favourites. On many albums there are songs that you want to skip just to get to that one track you love so much, simply because the other songs are just not at the same standard. I am very pleased to say that this album belongs to a very small group of albums that maintain the same degree of quality all the way through, when one track ends, you can’t wait for the next one to begin; that’s how amazing ‘Master of Illusion’ really is.
You may be thinking that this review is so positive because I am a huge fan of the band, on the contrary, as a huge fan I am also one of their harshest critics. There were songs on their previous release that just didn’t grab me in the same way as those on ‘Master of Illusion’ despite being solid power metal songs. Put simply, this album may not redefine the genre, but instead gives it the kick up the ass it needed and shows us all how it’s meant to be done.
I can’t believe I almost forgot the special guests that make this album extra special; Bill Hudson’s solo on ‘The Vigil’ being my personal favourite. Other guests on the album include none other than Threshold’ Richard West, Bob Katsionis of Firewind, Jorn Vigo Lofstad of Pagan’s Mind and Chris Neighbour from Four Way Kill who each add their unique elements to this outstanding album that may never leave my CD player.
Power Quest is destined to become a household name in the power metal scene and not before time.

A well deserved 10/10 :worship: See you on the Tour of Illusion :headbang:

thanks so much for the killer write up dude! Really appreciate you taking the time to put your thoughts down for us to check out! Awesome!:headbang:

Sweden Rock 7/10

Alex....could you help with the translation pllleeaasseee? hehe!

Power Quest

”Human Machine” 7p

Napalm, Border

Dessa britter har släppt plattor sedan 2002 utan att jag har stiftat bekantskap med dem förrän nu. Ärligt talat ingav deras namn inga större förhoppningar, då det skriker urvattnad power metal av värsta sort. Trevligt nog fick mina låga förväntningar gå och ställa sig i skamvrån redan efter den första rundan med power quests fjärde släpp. Det här är utan tvekan oförfalskad power och inget originellt serveras, men det man får är för det mesta väldigt njutbart.

Dessa snubbar behärskar konsten att skapa låtar som man får lust att återvända till och särskilt de många härliga keyboardmelodierna är guld värda. I en annan värld hade ”Cemetary Gates” och ”Human Machine” blivit klockrena hits. Du som har gett upp hoppet om denna genre bör kolla upp ”Master of Illusion”, och jag bör nog kolla upp bandets tidigare prestationer.

Neven Trosic

http://www.mariosmetalmania.com/CDDVDreviews.html

POWER QUEST– Master Of Illusion (CD) U.K. May 2008 Ronny Elst
Style: Melodic / Power Metal Running time: 50:00 (Tracks: 10)
Power Quest was formed in 2001 by keyboardist Steve Williams (ex-Dragonforce). After completing the line-up, the first album "Wings Of Forever" was released in 2002. Later followed by "Neverworld" in 2003 and "Magic Never Dies" in 2005. For the release of their fourth studio album, "Master Of Illusion" they signed a deal with Austrian label Napalm Records. It's once again a decent and varied album, with a sound in between 80's hard rock and 90's power metal. They also added several progressive and symphonic rock/metal elements. Not all the songs are played full speed ahead as they did before. Now they have a very catchy, melodic sound with catchy choruses, double bass attacks, sweeping melodies, a high pitched vocalist and a very good guitarist (both Italians).
Visit their website: http://www.power-quest.co.uk
Recordlabel: http://www.napalmrecords.com
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/powerquest
80/100

This album is brilliant but I don’t think it’s their best (my favourite power quest album is neverworld). I love all the songs on the album but I was just a little disappointed at some of the lyrics for a few songs. I felt that that songs that where about the government or negative themes (like master of illusion, civilized and I don't believe in friends forever although they are still great songs) had an almost depressing feel to them (only in the lyrics, the music and vocal melody are still as positive as they should be) and I like power metal to be more positive and more fantasy style lyrics (like kings of eternity) but that’s just me. Another thing that disappointed me was the lack of a ballad, one of the best songs from neverworld for me was when I’m gone so I was surprised that there was not a ballad on the album. My favourite tracks on the album are Kings of eternity and never again although every song is still brilliant and although I had some disappointments with it its still a brilliant album.

8/10

www.slugmag.com

Power Quest
Master of Illusion
Napalm Records
Street: 05.13
Power Quest = Dragonforce + Avantasia
Born from members of Dragon Heart (now Dragonforce), Steve Williams, who actually founded the band, was the original keyboardist before Dragon Heart changed their name and now has become hugely popular. Former guitarist and current Dragonforce member Sam Totman helped the band in its early years. Power Quest is, without any question, whatsoever traditional/modern power metal, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The style of their music is a style that thousands of bands play; symphonic keyboards with epic guitars and those cheesy-but-catchy vocal choruses. With a few power-metal acts that use keyboards, they seem to just toss them in and are out of place with the music. But Power Quest, with utmost excellence, intermingle those keyboards with their music, giving in that much more of a big, epic feel. "Civilised?" is one extremely catchy tune that has a replay factor that never gets old. As any good power-metal band knows, it’s key to play music with power at its core. Power Quest go above and beyond to deliver that big sound for every power-metal hungry fan there is out there. –Bryer Wharton

http://strutter77.angelfire.com/HOTNEWREVIEWS124.htm

POWER QUEST 'MASTER OF ILLUSION' (NAPALM RECORDS)

The UK has 2 Power Metal bands to offer, namely DRAGONFORCE and POWER QUEST. POWER QUEST now delivers their first NAPALM RECORDS release, but in total 'Master of illusion' is their 4th CD. Musically nothing has changed and once again we can hear a good mix of melodic power metal and melodic rock, with as highlights "Cemetary Gates", "Human machine", “Civilised?” and "Save the world". There are guest appearances by members of THRESHOLD, POWER QUEST and CELLADOR and all together this new record sounds like POWER QUEST's strongest effort so far. Each song is blessed with catchy hooks and memorable choruses, like mixing SONATA ARCTICA with SHY Melodies with loads of harmonyvocals and high-pitched vocals. Without a doubt, this is a very impressive release that might attract both melodic rock and power metalfans! More info at: www.power-quest.co.uk

(Points: 8.5 out of 10)