Advanced EZDrummer question

Leonfrost

New Metal Member
Aug 9, 2011
So, I've got my entire EZD kit sample-replaced in default EZD, except the cymbals. What I did for a stereo overhead was create two multi-out overheads, one left, one right. From what little I understand, this is the proper procedure. However, these are OVERHEADS. How can I sample replace EZDrummer's weak (IMO) stock cymbals, without either removing that life-giving overhead bleed or having said bleed trigger the sample replacement?

I'm sure there's something I'm too inexperienced to know about, but for the life of me I can't think what it would be.

aptrigga. copy your midi hits and trigger cymbal sample(s!) from aptrigga. Or shell out for Slate.

Also, why the fuck are you trying to sample replace EZD in its entirety? Kind of defeats the purpose of even using the shit. js.

Well Reddog, EZD is just...my drums, you know? My band doesn't have nearly enough cash (or a room) to record our actual drummer. And I think I misspoke. Kick is 100%, snare 30/70 original/replaced. Hi hat 50% replaced. Toms 30/70 original/replaced. These replacements are to get what I think of as much better drum tones than the stock. I just thought the same principle would apply cymbals as well. Guess not?

You can find a few really good samples of cymbals, its just a matter of how you'd replace them. I'll try to find a link to this thread I was reading earlier, one guy had a great idea for setting a room/OH up with only convolution reverb.

Yeah I was going to just suggest sending the OH out to a stereo track, which you did already, and then send that to another stereo track with reverb on it that emulates a room, blend that with the OH track.

Here ya go dude, try this out.

I've had to do this before just to get more life in a programmed track (I don't have Superior/SSD/What have you, I sample by hand)

The way I ended up doing this was to pan the entire kit the way I liked it, after assembling the entire song, then drop the kick out alot, and then drop the snare/toms down to a fairly audible but not over powering level, then run everything to a main bass and throw a verb on it, then render down to split two track.

It'll do the trick in a pinch...

Note: This is alot easier if you have overheads from another project to listen to so you can get a feel with how it would normally sounds with just the oh mics soloed.