Advent Live

Soul Forlorn

May 15, 2001
Illinois, USA
geocities.com
Advent has always been one of my favorites, but hearing it live was probably the greatest 13 minutes or so of my life. I saw them at the House of Blues in Chicago with Amorphis. The song was executed perfectly, with great sound. For me, it definitely was the highlight of the show, something I'll never forget. I'm sure many of you can relate to seeing an Opeth song performed live and then forever more it having a greater meaning than before.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

yea man, I thought the same thing when I saw them. Advent was definitely the highlight of the show for me. Right from the way he screamed "It was all true..." in that nasty hissy voice, it's was pure brilliance and the crowd went completely nuts. He actually sang it better than on the album, he held note longer, varied the pitch a little more, awesome. When he screamed "where even foes close their eyes and LEAVE.." he extended the "leave" and there was a longer pause before the next part began. It's the little nuances that make it so special. Yea, I think Advent is the best live tune, and the one they seemed to enjoy playing the most me thinks.

Satori

A moment of silence...

My deepest sympathies for the poor souls who never saw them live, and also to those who saw them but they (cuz of the sound) sucked. I saw them twice on this tour, the first time was very very bad, the second blew me away (and I'm a bit of a perfectionist who is hard to move). Opeth are nothing short of incredible live. They are so well timed and polished and somehow they duplicate the sounds from the albums perfectly, even bwp, which I'm sure everyone would agree is the most produced and cleanest sounding album. M&P's playing is great, so relaxed and perfectly in synch, true professionals. The drums and bass were absolutely solid. Mikael is the best metal singer ever. He makes the sweetest and nastiest sounds with his voice without straining or pushing, he's always perfectly relaxed, never out of breath, with perfectly consistent volume and pitch. His voice never got tired at all, it was as perfect at the end as at the beginning. It's absolutely effortless for him, that's not talent, that's a gift from the anti-gods. It still freaks me out that a human can produce such sounds so effortlessly and naturally. I can see why some people would think that it's just an effect of studio magic, but it's not, he uses very very little effects on his voice on the albums and he can reproduce it live *exactly*. I'm still shocked at how he did the opening part of demon of the fall "silent dance with death, everything is lost", I thought this was an effect on the album, but it's not! He did this live and it sounded very similar, and he did it even lower and fatter, which is something I was sure wasn't possible. How the hell does he do that? He's not human. Some times when I'm walking down the street or in a mall or something I wish I could do a RAAAA! like him just to get a reaction from people, it would be funny. haha They would probably think there was a huge wild beast afoot or something, hehe.

We are fortunate that all these attributes came together in one man, his voice, playing skills, writing skills, lyrical slants, and his affectation for the dark and evil as well as the beautiful and serene. All this and an all around nice guy and perfect gentelman too boot. What a combo. I hope he realizes how much we appreciate his efforts and admire his contributions. I'm sure he does. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that opeth has enabled me to understand myself better and go deeper into those auto-sadist pain/pleasure emotions which at once caress and tear my soul. I know you know what I mean.

keep it real,

Evil Satori

The reason I didn't go is because my girlfriend couldn't go with me. I want my first time to see Opeth to be with her, because the way that we share Opeth together is in a very special way.

Advent live was mindblowing, but then again so was White Cluster live, Forest Of October live, The Drapery Falls live, and Demon Of The Fall live...you get the idea! Seeing Opeth in the flesh is a transcendent experience. I must hear bootlegs of The Leper Affinity and Credence from this tour...

Satori We are fortunate that all these attributes came together in one man, his voice, playing skills, writing skills, lyrical slants, and his affectation for the dark and evil as well as the beautiful and serene. All this and an all around nice guy and perfect gentelman too boot. What a combo. I hope he realizes how much we appreciate his efforts and admire his contributions. I'm sure he does. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that opeth has enabled me to understand myself better and go deeper into those auto-sadist pain/pleasure emotions which at once caress and tear my soul. I know you know what I mean.

WOW...well said my friend.