Your Greatest Opeth Live Song...

John Gargo

Hawkwind
Mar 4, 2003
New York
Visit site
So yeah, out of all the Opeth concerts you've been too, what's the one song from any given performance that really struck you as their best "live moment?" I'll go first...

I'd have to say when I saw them on the Deliverance tour and they played "Godhead's Lament." Mikael prefaced the song by saying that they were going to play an obscure song and as soon as he announced the title, the entire place (including myself) went completely nuts... The high picking over the guitar riffs during the first half of the song was absolutely fucking insane!!!

Runner up... Opeth playing "Advent" during the same show... It probably would have inched out "Godhead's Lament" for first place, actually, if I wasn't on a STILL LIFE kick at the time.

Advent
There's something about how it's played live
It seems so much more brutal, it's just a really good live song.
The Leper Affinity was great, mainly because it was the opener.
I really liked Credence as well, with the extended ending, very memorable.

Well, Ive only caught them in Damnation tour, and from that it would definitely have to be the opening Windowpane, or encore of Face of Melinda.

The first time I heard Bleak live. I had seen them on the Blackwater Park tour in April of '01 and they didn't play it then, but at the "Four Absent Friends" show in Chicago they did and it was fantastic!

Seeing "Godhead's Lament" live was a religious experience. "Deliverance" would have to come in second, solely for the song's ending, when all three guitar's were playing that ending pattern in perfect unison.