Advice on meeting band members

If you REALLY want to talk to a musician, it's been my experience that's it's best not to concentrate on just music. Remember, that's their JOB!! I was at a wedding reception a couple of years ago, and sat at a table with Zak Stevens for like 6 hours. He was the entertainment, but he seemed much more comfortable talking about other stuff.

Also, I saw an interview with Jon Oliva and a fan asked him the best way to approach him. He said, "Just introduce yorself followed by, 'Can I buy you a drink??'" :heh:

Chris :headbang:

If you REALLY want to talk to a musician, it's been my experience that's it's best not to concentrate on just music. Remember, that's their JOB!! I was at a wedding reception a couple of years ago, and sat at a table with Zak Stevens for like 6 hours. He was the entertainment, but he seemed much more comfortable talking about other stuff.

Also, I saw an interview with Jon Oliva and a fan asked him the best way to approach him. He said, "Just introduce yorself followed by, 'Can I buy you a drink??'" :heh:

Chris :headbang:

I can verify that totally works with Jon...I did exactly that at the PPUSA4 pre-party, which basically rescued Jon from a smothering circle of fans and gave him an excuse to disconnect and step up to the bar with me, claim a spot, and get a little elbow room. He graciously hung out and shot the shit with me (and others as well) while we sipped our double vodka-rocks, then I made a gracious exit to give others a chance to monopolize his time...ha! Years before that, the Sava guys and me had also hung out swilling beers at a Corpus Christi bar after a show...not getting crazy...just enjoying a good sociable time after hours.

I like the Zak comment...once had a very enjoyable lunch with Damond, Jeff, and Johnny, along with Mark Zonder at a Houston dive bar. I guess we did talk music a bit, but it wasn't the sole conversation topic as we plowed through our pre-show chicken fried steaks, though.

Man...good times...

I like the Zak comment...once had a very enjoyable lunch with Damond, Jeff, and Johnny, along with Mark Zonder at a Houston dive bar. I guess we did talk music a bit, but it wasn't the sole conversation topic as we plowed through our pre-show chicken fried steaks, though.

Man...good times...

I saw Savatage and Fates on that tour in Dallas. Hung out before the show when the band just got in town. Shot the shit about golf, etc. then we were supposed to go to Pantera's strip club with Jack Frost, but he had to do an interview.

I haven't read all the responses, but for me, and if the band is playing in your hometown or close to it, usually a question of "how do you like (insert town here)?" is a good conversation starter. For those who travel alot, talking with members about different cities/venues/etc is always a good conversation.

Also, having a little weed to share is always a good way to hold interesting conversations with bands. This is why I usually get along very, very well with many of the performers each year :heh:

On the other hand, as someone who has done lots of touring & performing and met lots of "fans", I will say to the shy people who are too afraid to say "Hello..." that there is nothing more annoying than someone standing at the other end of the bar, standing there staring and/or pointing at you, wearing YOUR BAND's t-shirt...and they won't even say hello. People always think they're gonna be interupting something, but the truth of it is, artists & performers want to hear you say "good set" just as much as you want to say it.

I rarely talk to the bands unless I have something particular in common with them. Meeting band members just because they're band members has never interested me; I'd much rather talk to people I know from here or the PM board. I've had enough "forced" conversations with band members in the past, where I felt like I should talk to them because they're performing. I never know what to say either. It's always awkward.

You could always just resort to, "I love your music."

I pretty much agree with this. Liking someone's music is not a logical reason to assume you're going to have a good conversation with them, unless maybe you're a musician too, and have some specific music related topic to discuss. Unless there's something specific to discuss, I don't see a need to approach someone just because they're in a band. Like, I've approached band members after a set to tell them it was a great show... because I really did think it was a great show. But the longer conversations I've had with musicians (many of them at ProgPower, like Tom Englund, Steinar Krokmo, John Macaluso, and the really cool dude from Enchant whose name I can't remember, as well as many others) were just in the context of them being cool people I met at ProgPower, and were hanging out at parties or whatever, just like I've met many cool non-musicians at ProgPower. You're probably not going to have much of a meaningful conversation with someone rushing up to them after a show like a nervous fanboy, however. And I'd say if you really don't know what to say to someone, to the point where you have to ask other people what to say, you probably shouldn't say anything. :)

Actually, most of the time a musician wants to talk of something else than music. If you know of your favorite musician(s) hobby, go and talk about it or just go and random chat. You can praise the gig of their if you liked it, etc, but then most of the time the dialogue going OUT OF music, especially their own, is more appealing.

Because a fan talking to his/her idol is a unique stuff and happens once however your idol may be having the same conversation for the 50th time that day. And even though each and every person is unique and appealing in a different manner within dialogues, something different is always more attractive.

This, I learnt by being a musician as well as being around people that I adored for decades and befriending them.

But above all, be yourself. Don't pose or lie about how much you like this or that, just be yourself. A friend is always better than a posing person :)

great advice here. i wondered about all this myself. I want to meet Marco and Zac Hietala for the past couple of months I've returned to something I forgotten, my music...their sounds, watching them and Marco's incredible bass style threw me back into it, I picked up a bass a couple months ago and I don't think I've been happier. I love the whole band of course but Marco's specifically been my inspiration; I try to imagine if I ever got to meet him, I'd be so nervous and not know what to say and NOT sound like some goofy fangirl, I'm not like that...it's the nerves
Is it silly I would like Marco to sign my bass? I wonder if he would. Even if it's not what he endorses... (It's an Ibanez lol) Maybe in a few years when I'm good I'll be on a stage somewhere. Even at my old age. Ha!!

I think going onto other topics is a good idea, I like hearing stories..I know Zac works with kids, I work with kids - I move them around in big yellow buses, something in common. It'd be fun to talk turkey about kids and experiences with them. Like the time everybody puked in the bus. OMG...that's a story....