Afraid of reamping

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
Imagine you prepare everything fot the recording session. Then you track hours and days all DI guitars.
Then you attempt happily to reamp and realize that your signal was not as good as you thought and all work done is pure bullshit (sue to any thing, peaks, gain problems, humble, whatever...)

Did any of you have this experience?
I'd like to try this technique but I'm afraid of doing something wrong.

I've learnt that I should avoid Behringers, but I did a try at home (not real studio), with the GI100 (is the only box I own at home) and would like to know if it is more or less ok or not before buying a better one.
http://www.soulitude-web.com/temp/GI100_DI.wav
If someone could reamp this little sample for me...

My aim is to record at home and reamp at my friend's professional studio... but I'm afraid of wasting my precious time.

how did you do the old soulitude stuff, and why are you changing from that? if it ain't broke don't fix it. but perhaps you can't mic a cab at your residence anymore.

Thanks Anssi, interesting thread.

how did you do the old soulitude stuff, and why are you changing from that? if it ain't broke don't fix it. but perhaps you can't mic a cab at your residence anymore.

First SOULITUDE's is V-amp, second one, PodXT. It is just a project with no commercial interest, nor label involved (hate 'em), so I didn't care about superb production and micing was too much effort.

Meanwhile in my all life band VALHALLA, I tracked in the past demos and albums micing cabs, even to Foxtex 4tracks recorders... so I've used many techniques except DI and reamping.

If I want to mic, I have to 'borrow' the studio (is not mine is of a friend), so I don't want to abuse asking for favours, that is why I want to record at home and go to studio for just the reamping. There I can use many amps and cabs.

Imagine you prepare everything fot the recording session. Then you track hours and days all DI guitars.
Then you attempt happily to reamp and realize that your signal was not as good as you thought and all work done is pure bullshit (sue to any thing, peaks, gain problems, humble, whatever...)

Did any of you have this experience?
I'd like to try this technique but I'm afraid of doing something wrong.

That's why you record the normal cab+mic and the DI signal of the same performance. So in case the DI sucks, you still have something to work with :)

Thank you very much GuitarHack, for this and for your old impulses that I often use!
I thought the sound would be shittier considering it is a Behringer (it is not the DI 100, but GI100 that is a little better).

One thing to watch out for when tracking DI's is noise from strip lights, old computer monitors, noisy interface power supplies, guitar cables crossing power cables or headphone cables etc etc. Any of this should become obvious through your amp modeller though.

Other than that, make sure you leave plenty of headroom so that there's no clipping in the DI, make sure you're in tune and you're guitar is well intonated. If thats all fine then you should be fine.