Agalloch - 2 questions

I think I understand what Dimension means in regard to the American vs European thing. It seems that a lot of the European bands draw inspiration from their homelands. You can sense it in the lyrics, the music, the atmosphere. Being from the US, I can say that I have no such inspiration. European countries have rich histories spanning thousands of years, while the US has two hundred years. Kings and vikings and mythology and ruins and great, vast forests teeming with life-- Europe has that. If an American were to sing about a forest, it can be assumed that he passed a nursery instead and became confused.

I'm not saying the US is a bad country or anything like that. But, compared to the history and the tradition of most European nations, it doesn't compare.

So, on that aspect, I can see where Dimension is coming from. I found Pale Folklore to be a bit dry at points, but which band is constantly pleasing? I've not listened to The Mantle, so I can't compare. There's my two cents.

I agree much with what Elysian Blaze said about the lack of history in the US, and how that affects music. However, there is music that is very original and central to the US, primarily being blues, jazz, and country music. However, you have to remember the tremendous contribution that the US gave to Metal in the 80s. The whole Bay Area Thrash scene (primarily Metallica, Slayer, etc.) certainly went a long way to influencing the evolution of Metal, and to where Metal reigns king today, that being in Scandinavia and Europe.

But where I take exception to what was said, is hey... the US has plenty of dark spooky forests. We also have authentic snow and cold freezing lakes. A lot of those environmental elements influenced Agalloch, especially on "Pale Folklore." While I agree with the original contention that Europeans (particularly Scandinavians) do this kind of Dark Metal the best, there are a few exceptions. I personally think Agalloch is one of them. I think they are genuine and truly awesome. But that is my personal opinion only.

Peace,
Ulf

America's history only spans a couple of centuries? That's one of the stupidest statements ever. Ever heard of indians? Aztecs, Mayas, Incas? Ring a bell? History consists of other things besides the accomplishments of the western civilization.

go in the grave together with GRAVE

You'd deserve the worst insult of the year-award for tha remark.

Originally posted by MacMoney
America's history only spans a couple of centuries? That's one of the stupidest statements ever? Ever heard of indians? Aztecs, Mayas, Incas? Ring a bell? History consists of other things besides the accomplishments of the western civilization.

sure but how many of them unfortunately have the right to express themself?

and second with america i mean united states .

in the united states the native americans are 10.000 people and the population is 200.000.000!:eek:

and agalloch are not natives, i think.

so i am sure that america's history is only two centuries 'cause now united states is western civilization!

wake up please !

:D

Originally posted by Elysian Blaze
vast forests teeming with life-- Europe has that. If an American were to sing about a forest, it can be assumed that he passed a nursery instead and became confused.

I can assume you have never been to the pacific northwest where Agalloch is located and know nothing about it.

Originally posted by dimensionidol
sure but how many of them unfortunately have the right to express themself?

and second with america i mean united states .

in the united states the native americans are 10.000 people and the population is 200.000.000!:eek:

and agalloch are not natives, i think.

so i am sure that america's history is only two centuries 'cause now united states is western civilization!

wake up please !

:D

All of them have the right to express themselves but most of them choose a different medium than metal.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Even if you don't count the natives history as history, europeans have been in America for five centuries already.