Agalloch: Best album to start with?

Vamos

Oct 21, 2006
I've been intending to check out Agalloch for a while given how highly they are regarded but have never gotten around to it. So, I was wondering what would be the best of their albums to start with for someone who has never heard their music before. Any hints? Opeth is among my favorite bands and I've heard that they are similar so I guess I would enjoy Agalloch too.

Thanks in advance.

Pale Folklore hands down. Start from the beginning and go through the discography.

Pale Folklore is the best imo, but you can't really go wrong anywhere. I wasn't a huge fan of Marrow of the Spirit though.

edit-I wouldnt call them similar to Opeth though.

Just get Pale Folklore and The Mantle and leave the others alone. The song "Not Unlike the Waves" from Ashes Against the Grain is amazing, but otherwise, what I just said.

Pale Folklore hands down. Start from the beginning and go through the discography.

Thanks, yeah I figured as much, start from the first album and work my way through their discography on a chronological basis. I think it is the best way to appreciate a band's sound and it's evolution over time.

edit-I wouldnt call them similar to Opeth though.

Ah, well it is something I have seen people say several times.

Just get Pale Folklore and The Mantle and leave the others alone. The song "Not Unlike the Waves" from Ashes Against the Grain is amazing, but otherwise, what I just said.

Thanks for the hint, Pale Folklore is what I'll start with.

My money is on Ashes. The production and songwriting on that album give it an extremely good sense of flow, it just washes over you.

I havent heard everything they have done but I do love "Ashes Against the Grain". I would also advice you to stay away from "Marrow of the Spirit" and "Faustian Echoes". Mu subjective view is that both are very much subpar.

"Ashes Against the Grain" seems to be the most definitive example of that "Agalloch" sound and seems like a better starting point than "Pale Folklore" or "Marrow of the Spirit." Although, I do find that "Marrow of the Spirit" is their best album.

Fari enough, thank you all for the hints :) I decided to start with Pale Folklore tonight. Will work my way in chronological order through their albums.

Alil the Agalloch albums are amazing. Start at the begining (From Which of This Oak) and end with Faustian Echoes. If anyone says Marrow of the Spirit isn't up to par, they are full of shit. It's fucking amazing.

The band is not similar to Opeth, however. The biggest comparisons I would make are Ulver's Bergtatt album, Katatonia's Brave Murder Day album, neofolk such as Sol Invictus / Death in June / etc. and post rock such as Godspeed all mashed up together.

The band is not similar to Opeth, however.

Indeed, yet I hear this comparison all the time. I'm assuming its due to the atmospheric aspects of both bands.

While I agree with Yoda that Ashes likely encompasses the overall Agalloch sound the best into a singular album, I would also suggest starting from the beginning, so either From Which This Oak or Pale Folklore depending on how you want to approach it.

Marrow of the Spirit IS good, but it is a step back from what Agalloch is capable of doing quality wise. It was their first album that really showed them not pushing into new territory, not to mention seeming to have to pull things from previous songs (there is a melody on the album I swear is straight from Fire Above, Ice Below.)

I strongly recommend The Mantle. Just a phenomenal album on all levels and is the most comprehensive demonstration of the whole range of their sound. Read the lyrics while you listen to it.

And as far as the Opeth comparison, I think they are often compared because they are the two most famous bands to use a mix of clean/ growled passages plus acoustic passages within long pieces of extreme metal. But the comparison really ends there. Opeth are more influenced by death/ melodic death metal while Agalloch is more influenced by black metal. And Opeth has a major prog rock influence while Agalloch is more influenced by post rock. Musically, they don't sound similar. Personally I think Agalloch is a much deeper band and have a lot more to communicate than Opeth, but both bands have created some really original albums!

Alil the Agalloch albums are amazing. Start at the begining (From Which of This Oak) and end with Faustian Echoes. If anyone says Marrow of the Spirit isn't up to par, they are full of shit. It's fucking amazing.

Not agreeing with you doesnt make a person full of shit - it him, in this case me, having a different opinion. Its a matter of personal taste and that is part of what the TS asked for in this thread.

Thanks for all the info. I listened to Pale Folklore and The Mantle tonight and I have to say...truly great stuff. Definitely warrants repeat listens to truly appreciate and for it to actually sink in. On first listen I found The Mantle more interesting and deep in terms of atmosphere and the different things they have going on in the songs. More diverse and I liked the vocals better too.

I think I'll stick with these two albums for a day or two, give both a couple of additional spins to better appreciate Agalloch's music and give it time to sink in before continuing with their other albums. This kind of music is definitely of the type that needs time to fully grow on you. No rush.

As far as Opeth goes, I have to agree...don't see much similarity between both bands. They are both quite different and the similarities are only superficial. Yet like Opeth it seems Agalloch's music necessarily needs repeat listens to truly appreciate. A single spin is not enough.

Thanks again.

Marrow of the Spirit IS good, but it is a step back from what Agalloch is capable of doing quality wise. It was their first album that really showed them not pushing into new territory, not to mention seeming to have to pull things from previous songs (there is a melody on the album I swear is straight from Fire Above, Ice Below.)

Err... It's their biggest stylistic shift. I'd really question what you are listening for if you think that it's "not pushing into new territory." Perhaps you should focus on the rhythm next time. You apparently ignored that during every listen.