Agalloch

Brains for breakfast said:
I think the future of extreme music, one way or another, involves breaking trough the convines of convention.

Well I think the borders have been broken with metal many times...you have so many different styles established and so many of those different styles put together. Opeth, Subterranean Masquerade, Lykathea Aflame, Atheist, Summoning, Disembowelment, Cynic, Ved Buens Ende, ULVER...very nonconventional bands. The future of metal probably involves more of that...but I think metal is just gonna keep going through the "metal's cool" eras and the "metal's not cool" eras, reinventing itself over and over. Metal riffs, guitar solos, growls, technical playing etc. obviously is cool once again these days...it's just that it's blended with tough guy yo core which is the problem. Those straight edge kids are most likely twitching right now of severe denial wanting a beer so bad. Oh the pain they go through.

Jon Snow said:
Speaking of Ulver. Bergtatt is owning me right now. I still think it's their best album.

Love that album :headbang:

Ulver > Agalloch < Primordial

But I don't know if you can compare Ulver even..with themselves. Every album is so much different than the one before it. ...well except that Wolf one...that one sucks.

Agalloch was not influenced by Opeth, how many times does this need to be said? The band members themselves have stated that early Ulver and Katatonia were influences NOT Opeth. Agalloch deserve all the praise they get amongst the online metal community, they're a fantastic band. Also, Anderson is a cool guy, those who post on TER message board would know this. Anderson is always answering questions from fans and giving updates about the ongoings of Agalloch and Sculptured.

the_drip said:
you like the Madrigals album? It was the first Ulver album I bought..and I still can't stand it. Mostly because of the production.
Obviously you haven't listened to enough Darkthrone. :)

Back to Ulver...I"m listening to Blood Inside....myf riend sent it to me thru Messenger.

Definately goign to have to pick this up. Creepy stuff.

Trey Parker said:
agalloch is just a standard boring "melodic" band that has no originality. who the fuck cares?

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

How many Cradle of Filth and Robbie Williams CD's do you own?

I prefer 'Pale Folklore' to 'the Mantle', it just seems more raw and emotional

I've been getting more and more into Agalloch lately (actually as a direct result of this thread) and I'll agree that Pale Folklore is better than The Mantle for the most part. In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is an awesome song, especially the end.

Just for the record, I still think the singing is terrible, but it's infrequent enough for me to ignore when it pops up.