If I'd never heard of Agalloch, I'd love them...

Shadows Skulk said:
overrated, good but wayyyy overrated

How are they overrated? They're on an indie label with little to no exposure for god's sake. They have a cult following online and that's about it. Any recognition these guys get is well deserved.

--

I personally like the Mantle more. Both albums are kicked off by epics that will stand the test of time...but The Hawthorne Passage just puts The Mantle over Pale Folklore for me. A 14 minute instrumental that is flawless...wow.

both bands sound completely diffferent.
Agalloch are brilliant, but they yet have to stand the test of time. i'm curious if they are able to release 3 albums of 'The Mantle'-quality in a row...

btw. 'Hawthorne Passage' & 'And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth' KILL!

yeah the production is definately better, but hey, it part of their underground style. folklore is a little more evil heh

my favorite track on the mantle is "i am the wooden doors", truley one of the best lyrical pieces i've read too...

4. I Am The Wooden Doors

When all is withered and torn
And all has perished and fallen
These great wooden doors shall remain closed. . .

When the heart is a grave filled with blood
And the soul is a cold and haunted shall of lost hope
When the voice of pride has been silenced
And dignity's fires are but cinders
. . .their grandeur shall remain untainted

It is this grandeur that protects the spirit within
From the plight of this broken world, from the wounds in her song
I wish to die with my will and spirit intact
The will that inspired me to write these words
Seek not the fallen to unlock these wooden doors

tbh i like The Mantle and Pale Folklore pretty much equally. The solo for SPFATS Pt.2 has some real dud notes, but The Mantle has less proper songs. ATM i'd choose Pale Folklore purely because there's more songs.