Age of Silence - The New Album Concept?

I'm not sure if it's any use to specualte about the concept of the new album.
And Since Lazare is in charge of the lyrical concept, and he doesn't post here, I don't think we will get an answer.

anyways:

The concept of the EP can be discussed, and I haven't really discussed it with anyone so I guess this would be a nice place to start out.

let me grab the booklet :p

the art work is similair to the full-length in terms of style.

giving a very deserted and anonymous(sp?)feel to me.

The lonely car parked on the parkingplace on the backside of the booklet.

The 4 people on the first page which are un-recognisable (anonymous)

The empty escalator on the last page.

that's the art, now the lyrics:

'Hell opened a new wing' is this to be taken literally, or as a metphor for an awfull egocentric state of mind that humanity has become in this society?

there are numerous hints to Hell and Satan:
'Sixth of June' (assuming 666 is still the number of Satan) June is also the sixth month of the year.

'Hellish Needs' seems pretty clear..

'Broadcasted at 6 o'clock sharp (reference to 6(66)?

Diabolos Daily/ Hell Gazette. (reference to hell)

'Sinfull shoppers of all ages and convictions' Sinners, (criminals?)

'sadly the CEO could not be there for the opening, although his spirit lay thick over the parking lot' Satan himself? or some Dictator/Worldleader?

Shamka, the Arab Clerk (Í have no clue about this)

Sulphur smelling (volcano(?) --> hot --> Hell(on earth)?

'Armed with starnge copper coins and charcoal checkbooks' Coins (materialistic) 'is not of this world?'

song 2:

'Would the parents of Seth Gibreel please come to the information point?'
References to the bible?

'Black Lamborghini Diablo' (pretty obvious)
'Registration number FF6-13' F is the sixth letter in the alphabet, making for 666-13 (13 number of bad luck)
'You are blocking the exit' People cannot get out of 'Hell' I s the owner of the car Satan?

'Devilishly Hot Coffee' Pretty obvious.

'Barbeque of their lives' Hellfire?

song 3:

numerous references to heat, and unbearable circumstances.. Sounds like hell to me :p

'The black expensive, streamlined car' The Lamborghini I assume?

the final liner note:
'It would not be long before the mall re-opened'
People don't learn from their misstakes, always commit sins?

-----------
So that's it.
Please give some response or thought about this, cause it took me some time to type this out :p

Well, it looks as if you decoded some of the lyrics (I wouldn't have noticed that stuff), but what do you think it all means?

I believe the whole album is a metaphor to the evils of consumerism and the wrong doings of big business. Also the ep was released relatively close to the Christmas season - so maybe it shows that even they are part of the big machine.

Soul of Ice said:
Well, it looks as if you decoded some of the lyrics (I wouldn't have noticed that stuff), but what do you think it all means?

I believe the whole album is a metaphor to the evils of consumerism and the wrong doings of big business. Also the ep was released relatively close to the Christmas season - so maybe it shows that even they are part of the big machine.

yes, I think it's about consumism and greed.
Choosing materialistic things above compasion and humanity.
Maybe a message to show more love and devotion towards others?

the lyrics sound very individualistic and egocentric to me, same as on Acceleration.
and there is the same underlying note of Existensialism(sp?) IMO.

like:

and worn out streets leading from nothing to nothing
Who put us here anyway? Did I ever take the time to find out?
Did they ever bother to ask? Was it even an option?
It's been returned
taken from 90 degree angles

the message seems similair to the new concept;
Is this what we are meant to do with out lives? leading this materialistic live?
:)

So does anyone else have any ideas or anything to add about this concept?

Andy: do you have any clue about this? Since you were there during the whole creative process.

Seems like Trav said:
The lyrics on this are some of my favorite ever.

I didn't want to do a booklet...i wanted to do a movie.

I can imagine! (will something like this ever happen?)

I really love the art work on AoS , your art really breathes the feel of the music.

I assume you will be doing the art for the full-length too?
I'm looking forward to this,.

Keep up the good work Travis :)

This is a discussion I enjoy reading. The2stranger is doing a good job here, although there are other and very different ways of understanding these lyrics as well, and there's a lot more to be found underneath the surface ;)

Oh, and did I mention that the lyrics on "Complications" are connected to the lyrics on "Acceleration" in more than one way? Have fun and happy hunting...

Haha, thanks a lot Lars for adding more to an already cryptic disc! But in all seriousness, The EP rocks and is one of the best of the year.

I noticed a lot of the same references to hell as The2stranger did (my fave being ff6-13... pure genius :D ) but to me the overall concept spoke more of big business in general and (as andy winter mentioned in an interview that will be posted on doomsdaymusic.com in the new year once the site is up... </site whoring>) seems to be more of an observation of consumerism more than a critique. It's become a necissary evil in the world?

The other thing that struck me about the lyrics is how people are stuck in this mall, shopping but the head (Mr. M... metestophelese? sorry, i suck at spelling) seems very soulless... just like a true CEO?

Another interesting thought. I mean this in all seriousness. I went to Wal-Mart for the first time in years about a week ago and this disc was all i could think of. Shelves stacked high with all kinds of stuff, junk everywhere, and people clamouring for it. Interesting.

6th of June. The upcoming year is 2006. 6/6/06. The release date for the new album? It does fall on a Tuesday. Also a hint of the theme?

After I thought about this I read the lyrics again, found one or two things out, but many references still leave me puzzled.

Shamka the Arab Clerk? Could not find anything about this on the net

Seth Gibreel? I couldn't find anything on Seth Gibreel, but aparently there is a character named Gibreel in "The Satanic Verses"

The Diablo that was mentioned in the first song is still parked in the exit in the third song - preventing anyone from escape.

TheRealLazare said:
This is a discussion I enjoy reading. The2stranger is doing a good job here, although there are other and very different ways of understanding these lyrics as well, and there's a lot more to be found underneath the surface ;)

Oh, and did I mention that the lyrics on "Complications" are connected to the lyrics on "Acceleration" in more than one way? Have fun and happy hunting...

Thank you for commenting on my interpretations, and thanks for writing these lyrics so that I could think of what they are about!

I'm looking forward to the full-length very much.

you're awesome!

one more question on the lyrics of Acceleration: Where these lyrics inspired by Georges Orwell's '1984' in any way?

The Concept of Haste
The cycle of life speeds up like a rabid biker
Getting narrower for every turn
Its silver tail not as shiny as it was
The colossal width only paper thin
Acceleration beyond light and darkness
Welcome to the modern museum of life
A strobe-like feeling of universal consequence

The rate of change of velocity
Merely a tool to make us see
That no one can stand as still
In such a speed as we always will