Lanterns

1 girl in her cups
May 5, 2003
East Bumblefuck
I started screaming a year ago, and I'm also taking bass lessons now. And of course, I'd really love to be a good vocalist/musician and be in a band one day. BUT, there's a problem: I think I'm waaay too old to be a beginner musician. No, I'm not 16...I'm 20. And it takes YEARS to become a good musician...and I'm kinda scared that in a few years I will be good, but nobody 's gonna want to start a band with me because I'm too fucking OLD!
What do you guys think?

I'm 30 and I've stopped playing in bands several years ago. But I keep on playing because I like it, still seeking to improve my skills. For me, playing is something that brings me joy, but I decided the music biz wasn't for me. I've seen signed bands get screwed over by record companies and others struggle relentlessly, never getting a break - I can do without that. Maybe I'll form an Ozzy tribute band somewhere down the line though. =)

But look at it this way - if you become skilled, there will always be opportunities to find a good band. And a lot of people don't abandon metal and switch over to jazz as they grow older. =P

I joined my last band at age 25, while the other guys were on average 5 to 6 years younger than me. And we got along fine.

Plus, you can always become a studio musician. =)

'bane

The Lantern Nut said:
I started screaming a year ago, and I'm also taking bass lessons now. And of course, I'd really love to be a good vocalist/musician and be in a band one day. BUT, there's a problem: I think I'm waaay too old to be a beginner musician. No, I'm not 16...I'm 20. And it takes YEARS to become a good musician...and I'm kinda scared that in a few years I will be good, but nobody 's gonna want to start a band with me because I'm too fucking OLD!
What do yoeu guys think?
hehehe, this could've been written by myself some 6 months ago. I asked some poeple the exact same stuff...

I started to take bass lessons 6 months ago (when I was 20, like you...now I'm 21 ;)) And I also thought that maybe I'm too old for learning to play good and everything. But after some time you'll see that this is bullshit. Age has nothing to do with it. Maybe when you're 4 years old and somebody teaches you how to play guitar. But it doesn't make the slightest difference if you begin to play at the age of 16 or 20. BTW: Tyr of Borknagar, who is one of the best bass-players in metal, started to play bass at the age of 22...

just play everyday to get better and listen to as much DIFFERENT music as possible to influence you. Keep your mind and ears open. Then, if you can find some other musicians who think the same way, it won't matter what age you are. Age only matters to those who are stuck on an image. The image doesn't matter unless you are a poser. It's ALL about the music.

It all comes down to how bad you want to play really. If you put the long hours of practice in, never give up, and give it all you have, you s hould be able to become a great bass player.

I have not been in a band in YEARS- like Sunbane, I am about 30. I have not been in a band since my mid 20s! I still grind out metal riffs, practice my picking, etc.

The only way i would get involved in the music biz would be as a studio engineer; and I am getting too accomplished as a chef/pastry chef to want to start over again.(and the fact that cooking/baking rates up there with playing guitar for me)

Just play music because you love it and play hard! The musi is what counts!

im 17 and have been playing for a year (december) ive been having 1 lesson every other week, i think im generally getting better all the time, i dont think age should restrict someone doing what they like

I asked the same question...I'm 25, and started playing when I was 20. I'm still not where I wanna be, but I have jumped by leaps and bounds since I started. I realized that so many people in bands are almost 40, so it doesn't matter how old you are. If you can play, then play. Only the posers worry about image.

Yeah... I'm 17, and I play bass... but I can't completely start a band everytime I try... First, had 2 people who want to play guitar, someone who wants to do drums, and someone who wants to do vox... but then one of the guitarists move... The dude who wanted to do drums decides he doesn't want to since the dude moved... then the other guitarist moved.

Now its just me whos gonna do guitar, my friend who wants to do bass.. and we gotta find someone to do drums still.... but to me It'll be worth it if I ever could find someone.

You're never too old, I think. I'm 18 and I thought I was too old (I've been playing guitar for a little over a year), but if you practice a lot and keep yourself open then anything is possible.

If I remember right, Trey Azagthoth of Morbid Angel was 17 (or was he even 19!?) when he started to play guitar. And look at him now.

I've played for 5 years now, but I would've been this good ages ago if I would've practised as hard as I do now. I've just started working on solos after 4 years of rhythm. The good thing is that my sense of rhythm is very good and that'll never be the biggest problem to me:D