Akercocke

NineFeetUnderground said:
umm, you just named the introductory child set of extreme metal vocalists. of course you like those guys, theyre the most accessible growlers in the business. verbatim!

yes i guess you're right....but i know what i like. David Vincent was there growling away with Tardy, Schuldiner and Browning when i was in my early teens. In those days it was regarded as pretty fucken intense and extreme.

Its all relative.

Put it this way, if i still cant figure what he's singing about with the lyric sheet in my hand, he might aswell be singing about whats on his shopping list, when he goes down the supermarket on thursday nights.

I rather like the Akercocke vox. Sometimes silly, but surely not as weird as Psycroptic's vox... There's "inward singing" on Scepter of the Ancients that would make Jack Black proud.

heh well i think he's not singing anyting satanic, evil or menacing. the jokes on you all, he's singing about the intracacies of preparing an exquisite chocolate souffle and other culinary delights.

choronzon is top notch. better than their previous 2 by far. and definitely the introductory album to their latest.

I just brought Chorozon in the weekend. Im loving it aye. My first Akercocke record!!
So what are the other ones like?

Benighted1 said:
I just brought Chorozon in the weekend. Im loving it aye. My first Akercocke record!!
So what are the other ones like?

'Words That Go Unspoken...' is like Choronzon, but better produced, proggier, more ineresting, and generally better.

Not so familiar with the other too.. they sound more predictable to my ears.

i wouldnt say its "proggier"...its actually more streamlined than choronzon, considering they took the best parts of choronzon and refined them and made an even better album this go around.

i wouldnt say its "proggier"...its actually more streamlined than choronzon, considering they took the best parts of choronzon and refined them and made an even better album this go around.

"Words That Go Unspoken..." has been hyped as being their most "proggy" album, and if I recall correctly my copy had a sticker on it saying something like "for fans of Rush," which I think is some kind of ridiculous. I agree though, that it doesn't seem to have many prog influences that Choronzon didn't have, it just seems that they've matured around them a bit, although I do like their use of Greek instruments on "Words..." I don't think they wear their prog-pride on their sleeves as much as some bands though.

Lokundo said:
"Words That Go Unspoken..." has been hyped as being their most "proggy" album, and if I recall correctly my copy had a sticker on it saying something like "for fans of Rush," which I think is some kind of ridiculous. I agree though, that it doesn't seem to have many prog influences that Choronzon didn't have, it just seems that they've matured around them a bit, although I do like their use of Greek instruments on "Words..." I don't think they wear their prog-pride on their sleeves as much as some bands though.

dont get me started on metal album reviewers, their "hyping" of albums and their cart blanche "prog" tags they slap on everything out of ignorance. granted akercocke is a very forward thinking extreme metal band, who have tried some interesting things and done both death and black metal in a way not many bands have before (if at all)...but i wouldnt exactly call them a progressive metal band either. i dont think chorozon had anymore "prog influences" (whatever the FUCK that means anyway), than words that go unspoken does, it just lacks a lot of the weirdness and eclectic flavors of clips, exotic instrumentation, yada yada. But i think as far as pushing the boundaries of death/black metal by going left when everyone would think it was going to go right....they do wonderfully.

i do urge people to stop using the term "prog influences"....its starting to become the bastard child of "jazz influences" in that the people who use it obviously are pulling this information and skewed observations out of their ass about 99% of the time.

Well, I said 'proggier', rather than 'has more prog influences'. I know that probably seems like the same thing, and I concede it still probably wasn't the right term to use, but what I guess I meant was that 'Words...' is a little bit more 'out there' in terms of experimentation. It's like they took the template they implemented on Choronzon, and expanded it.

I didn't mean that it sounds like prog. That would be silly. Whoever compared it to Rush = :erk: