Akercocke

Oh i didnt realise we were talking about Opeth?!

edit: I really dont think you have given Akercocke a proper chance. If thats your reasoning for not liking Akercocke god knows why you like opeth. Akercocke are way more structured than Opeth. there is nothing clumsy about them, at all.

They're possible more structured than Opeth, but that's not saying much. I like Opeth for their imagery and creativity, things Akercocke don't have. I'm not prejudiced against black/death hybrids either, I enjoy bands like Aeternus and Destroyer 666 but for some reason not the Cocke. Weird...

Maybe I'm completely weird, but I hear almost a "New Wave" thing going on on "Words...Deeds". Kind of like the better sounding stuff by The Cure. Obviously, that's only a small part of the sound. But to me, that's more prominent than any prog influence.

i honestly didnt care for Akercocke before Choronzon came out. Before then i couldnt really wrap my head around what they were doing in a positive way. It almost seemed contrived and under-calcuated or i guess "too little, too late". Or maybe just being weird for the sake of being weird. However, Choronzon was such an above average metal release, i couldnt help but take notice, and then revisit the older albums again...that time around being able to understand and appreciate what they were doing. As they had then created the album i felt they always wanted to create...their goal had been reached. And then when words that go unspoken came out...it was a done deal, i was sold...they had managed to perfect that previous sound even further.

i will agree with the guy who mentioned the new wave influence. for a band blending 2 genres which typically create a "wall of sound"...akercocke definitely have more room to breathe than ANY other band in that style...which i highly appreciate. Using that "new wave", reverb clean guitar atmosphere of catchy simplicity cant be ignored. They use melodies youd never think would work in death/black metal, and actually make it work wonderfully.

The funny thing about akercocke, is how much of an aquired taste they are in most respects. I guess that is their downside, and the reason why so many people can appreciate them. I just know the first time i heard Choronzon, and Words that go unspoken...i was NOT listening to just ANY metal record...this was something that demanded and deserved my undivided attention. take it or leave it.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i honestly didnt care for Akercocke before Choronzon came out. Before then i couldnt really wrap my head around what they were doing in a positive way. It almost seemed contrived and under-calcuated or i guess "too little, too late". Or maybe just being weird for the sake of being weird. However, Choronzon was such an above average metal release, i couldnt help but take notice, and then revisit the older albums again...that time around being able to understand and appreciate what they were doing. As they had then created the album i felt they always wanted to create...their goal had been reached. And then when words that go unspoken came out...it was a done deal, i was sold...they had managed to perfect that previous sound even further.

i will agree with the guy who mentioned the new wave influence. for a band blending 2 genres which typically create a "wall of sound"...akercocke definitely have more room to breathe than ANY other band in that style...which i highly appreciate. Using that "new wave", reverb clean guitar atmosphere of catchy simplicity cant be ignored. They use melodies youd never think would work in death/black metal, and actually make it work wonderfully.

The funny thing about akercocke, is how much of an aquired taste they are in most respects. I guess that is their downside, and the reason why so many people can appreciate them. I just know the first time i heard Choronzon, and Words that go unspoken...i was NOT listening to just ANY metal record...this was something that demanded and deserved my undivided attention. take it or leave it.

fantastic post and agreed 100%.

Also agreed. Very, very well said NineFeet. My hat's off to you :)

I could have seen Akercocke live after the release of Choronzon. They were supporting the vastly inferior Arch Enemy. I was turned away, because my friends looked underage (ok, we were like 15-16, but that's not the point). I thought that sucked.... Not really relevant, but meh, I'm still gutted I didn't get to see them.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Also agreed. Very, very well said NineFeet. My hat's off to you :)

I could have seen Akercocke live after the release of Choronzon. They were supporting the vastly inferior Arch Enemy. I was turned away, because my friends looked underage (ok, we were like 15-16, but that's not the point). I thought that sucked.... Not really relevant, but meh, I'm still gutted I didn't get to see them.

yea, i havent seen them either. im not even sure if theyve come to the west coast USA yet. :erk: