Summoning - Oath Bound
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Enslaved - Ruun
Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes
Devin Townsend - Synchestra
Ihsahn - The Adversary

Those are my favorites in order.

There was really only 3 albums worth mentioning this year.
Profane Omen - Beaten Into Submission
Misery Inc. - Random End
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical

A promising year if anything, considering how it put the spark back into punk. No single record was exceptional, but there was a swathe of worthy efforts, also in other genres.

Namely:

Good Riddance - My Republic
NOFX - Wolves in Wolves' Clothing
Pet Shop Boys - Fundamental
Iron Maiden - A matter of life and death
In Flames - Come clarity
Sick of it all - i forget the title now

Oh, and of course there's a new Manowar album coming out, but iirc it's supposed to hit the stores in 2007.

Pretty crap year so far really, I can basically almost only think of "honorable mentions" albums as the best ones.

Ihsahn's The Adversary, Solefald's Black For Death, Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance and Madder Mortem's Desiderata are the best I suppose. For best albums, they aren't that omgwtfamazing...aside from The Adversary.
Damn I forgot One Man & The Undead Army's 21st Century Killing Machine. It's a lot better than the band's or the album's name, up there with those other three.
Ooh I forget so much. Paatos's Silence Of Another Kind is brilliant as well.

I would probably add the new Pineapple Thief and Sturmgeist album to either of the lists, but I haven't managed to download either yet.
Oh well, maybe it hasn't been that crap after all.

The honourable mentions:
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Sikth - Death Of A Dead Day
Maj Karma - Ukkonen
Von Hertzen Brothers - Approach
HeadControlSystem - Murder Nature

The new Iron Maiden sucks ass. What's wrong with you, err, 2 people?

Agalloch and Katatonia would have to be my favorites. In Flames was alright, but nothing spectacular.

But for the life of me, I can't think of 7 other albums that came out this year that I would listen to again, let alone put in a top 10. But then, I have a shitty memory.

Hehe, pre-post edit - Arcturus was pretty damn awesome if they had, I dunno, put the album through post-production? Those goddamnawful bleeps fucking hurt.

~kov.

Sideshow Symphonies was last year. Only the first two songs were good...kind of a shame that only two since they grew on me after a pretty long while.
The new My Dying Bride and Agalloch were disappointments, though Agalloch could still prove to be awesome.

1) Negura Bunget-"OM" 2) Drudkh-Blood in our Wells. 3) Agalloch-Ashes against the Grain. 4) Enslaved-RUNN. 5) Novembre-"Materia." 6) Devin Townsend-Synchestra. 7) non-metal--Tommy Bolin-"Whips and Roses I.

1. Negura Bunget - OM
2. Summoning - Oath Bound
3. Solitude Aeternus - Alone
4. Drudkh - Blood In Our Well
5. Dismember - The God That Never Was
6. Isis - In The Absence of Truth
7. Bal-Sagoth - Cththonic Chronicles
8. Agalloch - Ashes
9. Unleashed - Midvinterblot
10. Suffocation - s/t

Pretty poor year overall IMO

There was really only 3 albums worth mentioning this year.
Profane Omen - Beaten Into Submission
Misery Inc. - Random End
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical

As I haven't bothered to get the new Satyricon, there are only two albums on my list: Beaten Into Submission and Random End. Strangely enough, I find Random End the better of the two, even though I like Profane Omen more as a band - Beaten Into Submission feels too much like a "compilation album" of sorts with all the old songs included.

I don't want to sound like a completely ignorant person, but I haven't heard even 20% of all the albums mentioned in this thread. It has become quite obvious that I don't have enough time to check out new music. :cry:

-Villain

How come no one mentions Borknagar's new album? I haven't heard it, but I guess and IMO its a good contender for album of the year.

Hmmm also...

Amon Amarth: With Oden On Our Side
Solefald: Black for Death
Slayer: Christ Illusion
Agalloch: (teh new one don't know the name).
Dismember: The God that Never Was :)rock: masterpiece, amazing comeback! :headbang: ).

And oh yeah...:

UneXpect: In a Flesh Aquarium.

Now that is really one album that deserves to be the album of the year!!! :headbang: :kickass: :Spin: :worship: :worship: :headbang: :worship: :headbang:

I don't want to sound like a completely ignorant person, but I haven't heard even 20% of all the albums mentioned in this thread. It has become quite obvious that I don't have enough time to check out new music. :cry:

-Villain

Don't worry, I'm the same way. My internet connection is such that I have trouble getting complete downloads, and even then, I'm too out of the loop to know when stuff comes out.

I would at least check out the Katatonia. Could be personal bias, but they never let me down.

~kov.

EDIT: See, this is my point. I didn't even know Bork had a new album out...

I don't frequent any other forums. My internet browser use is confined to the DT Board, RPoL, webcomics of various sorts, and odd youtube links I get.

That being said, I'm surprised my friend (who normally keeps me up to date with this stuff) never mentioned it.

~kov.

^ Your friend hates you Kov. Or he's not much of a Borknagar fan :p . You can check Borkanagar's My Space, there are two songs of thier new album, Origin. Btw, it's fuckign great! :headbang: Pure-folk bliss :kickass: !!!

Anaal Nathrakh's Eschaton gets love from me because I didn't have a taste for Domine Non Es Dignus, and this is much better (IMO) if you're into black-brutal-death-noise-explosion.

My best album of 2006, on the grandest of scales, is probably 10,000 Days by Tool, but it isn't close to being the best cd I bought this year (that distinction going to Haven by DT).

1-Mercenary: The Hours That Remain.
2-Saturnus: Veronica Decides To Die.
3-Before The Dawn: The Ghost.
4-Daylight Dies: Dismantling Devosion.
5-Agalloch: Ashes Against The Grain.
6-Dawn Of Solace: The Darkness.
7-Insomnium: Above The Weeping World.
8-Scar Symmetry: Pitchblack Progress.
9-Amorphis: The Eclipse.
10-Katatonia: The Great Cold Distance.

Fucking great list man.