Album poll

KamelotGuardian

Protector of the Crown
Apr 25, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.angelfire.com
I honestly only have Empiricism, I am a relatively new fan. (and am very po' ) I have heard some of there other stuff, and am wondering which album I should get next...

I havent heard this Simen fellow, so I dont know much about his vocal stylings, but all my friends seem to say that The Archaic Course is there best.

I have heard Garm and he rules... but I also heard that the first two albums are more straight up black and less progressive ..

mmm.. honestly I think the organ and piano are TOO upfront in Empiricism so...

Which album do you think I should get next?

The Olden Domain is said to be the best among the two in which Garm sang (i haven't listened to it extensively so I can't be certain), although i don't believe it can be described as progressive and I believe that The Archaic Course is the best of the albums in which Simen sang. You can get either of them they're both great.

I would recommend The Archaic Course, and it happens to be my fave Borknagar. I agree that Empiricism is too synth/key oriented, and TAC fulfills my need for the opposite quite well:) . To sum it up, it seems to be a straight ahead rocking metal album with folkish melodies/chord progressions, yet still maintains some elemnts of black metal. It is very guitar oriented, with synths coloring the music rather than leading it. The vocals are for lack of better description, unnatural! Simen comes up with some unexpected and absolutely chilling vocal melodies. If you can, check out Oceans Rise or Universal (first two track on the album), they should give you a decent feel for what the album is about.

Well, the Olden Domain was my introduction to Borknagar, and has been my favorite, now along with Empiricism. The atmosphere, and songwriting work together like nothing else, GET IT!

Well, ultimately you need one album from each Borknagar area. It has been mentioned before that you should go and get "The Olden Domain" and "The Archaic Course".