Standing in the CD store staring at Borknagar...

The Bringer

Dec 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Now I have the first album and I absolutely love it. I've heard the second album and it's just as good.

Now,

At the local CD store they had Quintessence, Empiricism and Epic. I put them all on hold, which one should I buy first if I liked their first two albums? I've listened to abit of Epic and it seems good but not like the first two albums.

from quintessence the borkie sound evolved to more progresive grounds, equally good but different :)... my choise would be empiricism, then epic and finally quintessence

last time I checked, the samples available at Borkndork's home page were up and running.

translation:

http://62.70.10.93/

there are mp3s (samples) per each album just above the videos and wallpapers.

since you've mentioned a brief familiarity with Epic, you may already have listened to the mp3s. So, regardless of which album you get next, they're all groovy in my book.

many guys that I met at the CD store recommended that I listen to borknagar. (at the same time I went to buy a Vintersorg album), well I said "whats their best release"? and they said "Empiricism". I bought it, it was ok, but not as good as I thought those guys said it will be. and just yesterday I bought Quintessence, that album I considered great. well I don't know about "epic", but what the hell I'll buy next time I see it.I just can't wait for the next acoustic release.

I think Empiricism is a masterpiece. But still, you can not make a mistake with any Borknagar album. They are all above and beyond.

well actually i really enjoy The Olden Domain and the Archaic Course, Quintessence and Borknagar are good and the rest I don't like very much

"empiricism, because the production is DINE-O-MITE!!!"
Yup, it's well-produced in the way that the individual parts are well-distinguished (especially Tyr's great bass playing).

But production doesn't make the music better. Which is what a lot of people who listen to pop, rap/crap, and a lot of mainstream rock don't understand. (I say this because bad music is just bad music, but mainstream music always has higher production values).

Nick_Perrin said:
(...but mainstream music always has higher production values).

If it had higher production values, it wouldn't all sound the same. I mean, really...take a listen to the Top 5 songs in the U.S. if you can stomach it. :puke: You really can't tell one song from the next.

If this is the trademark of high production values, give me low production values anyday and twice on Sunday! :kickass:

mainstream music doesn't always have better production values anyway. It all comes down to the people behind the production and what they are using, there are shitloads of underground metal and other genres releases that are just as well produced or better produced than plenty of mainstream releases.