Album survivor - Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

Which two songs on Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian are the weakest?

• The Sorceress

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fata Morgana

• Guardian

• Exodus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vilden

From the holy kingdom of Harmonia
Aug 7, 2002
Stockholm, Sverige
Hay!

Well, I thought it was time to do some album survivor games again and Awaken the Guardian is an awsome place to start.

The rules are: pick the two weakest songs on the album which you think should be voted out. When the polls are closed (I put the clock on 3 days now, well see if we need that long) the two songs with the most votes are voted out and round 2 begins with the songs that are left, and then round 3, etc. etc.

If it goes well maybe we can do The Spectre Within afterwards!! :)

Feel free to comment in the thread too, otherwise it will be pretty boring.

Personally I have to think this over abit so I will wait with my voting for now.

Hah, I was actually thinking about doing this (I would've done TSW first, just for chronology's sake) but you beat me to it. I voted for The Sorceress and Time Long Past. The opener is clearly the weakest track for me, whereas Time Long Past I picked basically just because it's an interlude.

EDIT: Actually, on relisten, I think I like The Sorceress more than Valley of the Dolls.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Time Lost Past and Exodus. At one point Exodus might have been my Fates Warning song, but the more I listen to it the more I realize it's more long than it is "epic" (in the sense that other metal epics are usually multi-sectioned and dynamic). It's basically the first "Hey look at all the time signature changes, aren't we progressive?" metal song. I'd still give it a 7/10 and the chorus is awesome but it's a great example of why I think Awaken the Guardian is far inferior to The Spectre Within.

I agree, I know which song I would pick as the winner but the lowest points on the album are still so fucking high that it is hard to vote something out (that's why I choose this album). After Time Long Past I probably also go with Giant's Lore for now, guess It also could be Valley of the Dolls or Prelude to Ruin. Wouldn't suprise me if I change my mind before The voting closes. :p

My appreciation of any given Fates song depends a lot on whether I can form any kind of connection to the lyrics especially since Arch delivers them so emphatically. And to be honest, some of their songs I just can't make any fucking sense of. I guess Valley of the Dolls is based on a book I haven't read which doesn't really help.

I've always felt that The Spectre Within was the best Fates Warning album. I changed my votes on this one several times and now I am happy with them.

Ja, it's basically their try at doom metal and might be my very favorite of theirs in terms of matching lyrics and delivery, how it goes from one of their softest songs to then the massive heaviness of If he awakens / he will crush them in the earth is just perfect.

EDIT: Actually I take that back, The Apparition (bridge section) and basically everything in Epitaph still probably narrowly beat it on the image-conveying front, but still.

I honestly chose the two songs that don't stick out as much as the others. Awaken the Guardian is a perfect album.