Album survivor - Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

Which two songs on Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian are the weakest?

• The Sorceress

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fata Morgana

• Guardian

• Exodus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sad to see "Valley of the Dolls" getting so many votes already! It was the first Fates Warning song I heard and is one of my favourites.

Listening now so that I can make my votes.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
Yeah, between the first three tracks I probably like Valley the most as well, but if it's between it and Giant's Lore, it's an easy decision.

It's awkward when votes are tied like this. I could vote for neither "Valley..." or "Giant's Lore", or both of them and they both go out if no one else votes (I assume that's what happens in a tie?). Or I could vote for one over the other and potentially decide which goes out. It's too much pressure.

Edit: Went with "Time Long Past" and "Giant's Lore" because it has the potential to save "Valley of the Dolls".

Last edited:
This is hard. Overall Awaken is such a consistent album, there are so many cool moments in each song that it's hard to simply say that any one is "weaker" than the rest. But on balance I'll have to go for Giant's Lore, simply because I like Valley of the Dolls more.

i'm gonna tag everyone who listed fates warning in the top 20 trad metal thread in the hope of getting more votes. @Master_Yoda77 @Burkhard @rms @Rumpole @mutantllama @Mort Divine @Funerary_Doom
I had already voted. I simply didn't comment about it. (I voted for - or in this case it's perhaps more accurate to say against - "Giant's Lore" and "Time Long Past".) Voting in the next rounds will become difficult for me, because while I can easily pick my favourite song, the other five remaining songs are more or less on the same quality level for me. I also have to admit that I haven't listened to this album for quite a while. When I listen to a Fates Warning album nowadays, it's usually "The Spectre Within". It was my first FW album and it is now again my favourite FW album.

Not even sure I have a favorite out of the first 4. But the instrumental is worst because there's no Arch. If this was Spectre I think it'd be easier to eliminate tracks, but too truly consistent and flawless for me. Curious to see people's favorite songs instead of the weird process of eliminating the other 6 :p

This is kind of an awkward thread for an album like this since the tracks only range from great to fucking fantastic.

Off topic, but does anybody else rank The Sorceress as their favorite track? The riffs go from majestic and awe-inducing to skull-crushingly heavy, and all coerced into a complimentive backdrop to Arch's vocal performance. One of the finest opening tracks to ever grace a heavy metal album.