Albums/Bands/Songs to get my girlfriend into BM

jonnykungfu said:
All you've gotta do is find a chick who plays an instrument.

At least, in my experience.

I mean, neither of us only listen to metal, but jazz, prog, RIO, pop, etc. So it's like, cool I guess?

But thanks for all the recommendations. I'm trying to come up with a songlist... I know I'm going to include Nokturnal Mortum, Abigor, Drudkh, Azrael, Immortal, Deathspell Omega, Burzum, Taake, Absu, Aeternus, Ashen Light, Enslaved, Summoning, Nagelfar, Moonblood, Dub Buk, and possibly Leviathan.

Any suggestions for songs from these bands that are very representative of their sounds, but very unique and somewhat accessable. For Nokturnal Mortum, I am using "The Call of the Aryan Spirit".

Just make sure you tell me what album it's on. And make sure it's not longer than 10 minutes just so I can fit the stuff on a CD or two.

I'd go with:

Drudkh - Glare Of Autumn
Enslaved - Frost (The song)
Immortal - Frostdemonstorm
Burzum - My Journey To The Stars (I'd go with the Nokturnal Mortum as it's sooo much better)
Leviathan - Fucking your ghost of darkness

jonnykungfu said:
Any suggestions for songs from these bands that are very representative of their sounds, but very unique and somewhat accessable. For Nokturnal Mortum, I am using "The Call of the Aryan Spirit".

Just make sure you tell me what album it's on. And make sure it's not longer than 10 minutes just so I can fit the stuff on a CD or two.
Aeternus - When The Crow's Shadow Falls, Ild Dans or Sworn Revenge (the first two are from ...And So The Night Became and the last from Beyond The Wandering Moon)

Ulver - Bergtatt - Ind I Fjeldkamrene (from Bergtatt)
Blut Aus Nord - The Son of Hoarfrost (Ultima Thulée)
Windir - The Blacksmith and the troll of Lundamyri (Arntor)
Astriaal - Glories Of The Nightsky (Renascent Misanthropy)
Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft (Witchcraft)
Vinterland - Our Dawn Of Glory (Welcome My Last Chapter)
Sacramentum - Outro - Darkness Falls for Me/Far Away From the Sun (Far Away From The Sun)
Taake - Part VII (Nattestid Ser Porten Vid)
Noctuary - And Hate Embraced This Night (When Fires Breed Blood)

AMAZING ALBUM.
Indeed \m/.

Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness is melodic/thrashy, and what I use to get people into black metal.

If you're going to get Nokturnal Mortum, start out with Nechrist. It's a great album.
You should also check out Astriaal, it's pretty brutal yet atmospheric and complex black metal.
Don't forget Grand Belial's Key, they are awesome.

I'd reccomend the later Immortal releases... they have a slight thrash vibe and they dont bother with over-the-top keyboards.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up making 3 CDs... One for raw/thrashy black metal, one for symphonic or folk influenced black metal, and one for bands that aren't black metal, but are related somehow (for example, they used to be black metal, or they have elements of black metal).

Raw/Thrashy:

1. Absu - A Shield with an Iron Face
2. Averse Sefira - Condemned to Glory
3. Carpathian Forest - The Swordsmen
4. Burzum - My Journey to the Stars
5. Astrofaes - Under the Cover of Destiny
6. Deathspell Omega - Sola Fide II
7. Ulver - Wolf and Hatred
8. Sigh - A Victory of Dakini (anyone who hasn't heard old school Sigh, NEEDS to)
9. Dodheimsgard - The Crystal Specter
10. Azrael - Dominion of Abysmal Crypts
11. Taake - Part II
12. Blut Aus Nord - Axis
13. Summoning - Beyond Bloodred Horizons
14. Goatwhore - Commanding the Legions of Hell
15. Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun

Symphonic/Folk:

1. Nachtfalke - Pestkrieg
2. Ashen Light - V Sostradanii K Otverzhennym
3. Ulver - I Troldskog Faren Vild
4. Nokturnal Mortum - The Call of the Aryan Spirit
5. Drudkh - Sunwheel
6. Emperor - Ensorcerelled by Khaos
7. Dub Buk - Idu Na Wy!
8. Windir - Arntor
9. Enslaved - Gylfaginning
10. Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft
11. Negura Bunget - Hint Da Rau Pin Balea I

Non-black metal:

1. Enslaved - The Crossing
2. Sigh - Infernal Cries
3. Fleurety - Face in a Fever
4. Mayhem - Crystalized Pain in Deconstruction (I don't actually like this song, but I find it hilarious. Maniac sounds EXACTLY like Mario in this song!)
5. Borknagar - Soul Sphere
6. Summoning - South Away
7. Dodheimsgard - Final Conquest
8. Emperor - Grey
9. Ulver - Little Blue Bird
10. Dissection - Where Dead Angels Lie
11. Arcturus - The Chaos Path
12. Bloodthorn - As One in Darkness
13. Peccatum - One Play, No Script

There's a lot more I wish I could have put, but three CDs is enough for now. We'll see if she digs these ones.

I should probably have put an Immortal song instead of the Goatwhore song, BUT the Goatwhore song is irresitably catchy.

It was about priority, I like most of these bands more than I like Immortal, or I had a reason to put them above Immortal (for example, Carpathian Forest is really easy to get into and is very catchy).