Albums/Bands/Songs to get my girlfriend into BM

jonnykungfu

May 7, 2004
USA
My girlfriend is a big death metal and thrash fan, but I've been trying to get her into black metal recently. She doesn't like the more "monotonous" stuff, like Graveland - A Thousand Swords, Darkthrone or Mayhem, so I'm trying to come up with a CD or two's worth of good black metal songs that are really beautiful, more technical oriented, really unique, possibly folk oriented. She very much appreciates art and such, so she'll "get" the more difficult stuff.

This is the kind of stuff she likes:
Slayer
Psycroptic
Morbid Angel
Immolation
Behemoth
Opeth (don't start)
Emperor (don't start!)

Basically, technical stuff or pretty stuff.

I'm thinking of trying stuff along the lines of:

Nokturnal Mortum (they have a unique sound, and are more technical oriented)
Abigor (same as above)
Azrael
Weakling
Nagelfar
possibly Burzum
Drudkh
Deathspell Omega

Any suggestions?
And, sorry for rambling.

enslaved- below the lights
gorgoroth- incipit satan
marduk- world funeral
behemoth- any of em really

those are good places to start
~gR~

Considering she likes Emperor, I'd try similar bands, like Zyklon, Nokturnal Mortum, or Hecate Enthroned. Maybe even Windir?

genocide roach said:
enslaved- below the lights
gorgoroth- incipit satan
marduk- world funeral
behemoth- any of em really

those are good places to start
~gR~

I'm not trying to come off as a dick here, but I'm thinking more along the lines of "progressive" or beautiful or folk-influenced black metal. Plus Marduk (no offense) is one of the worst examples out there, especially since she dislikes Darkthrone and Mayhem (not that they sound like Darkthrone or Mayhem). She is into Behemoth, so that's good. And Enslaved is a good one, I didn't think about that. But I'll get her into their older stuff, since it is closer to black metal.
Thanks

And anonymousnick... Zyklon is a good one, but they're more death metal, and I THINK she's already into them. I'm not big on Hecate Enthroned. I'm definitely going to try Nokturnal Mortum, and I've never heard Windir, but I'll check them out. Thanks

Rosesofshadow:

She's already into Arcturus, so good one.

I think I tried Bathory out on her and she found it boring (so nothing along the lines of Graveland/Bathory at this point I imagine)
Borknagar - I think she likes them
Immortal - Good one

I've never heard the other two. Actually I've heard Setherial a long time ago, and I faintly remember them being similar to Emperor.

Not to sound picky, but I'm thinking more along the lines of more "underground" but unique stuff, not the "beginning" bands like Immortal/Mayhem/Dimmu/etc. (though I'll probably try out Immortal).

Thanks for the recommendations though.

Well, she has nice taste though !
You could try Lunaris - ... The Infinite, which is a prog black band.
Kralizec - Origin is a technical/melodical death/black band, awesome by the way.
Aphasia is also another great technical black band.
Mutant - The Aeonic Majesty is a great album, with guys from Theory in Practice, that meants that the album is technical and share a similar sound with TiP.
Axis of Perdition - The Ichneuman Method is a great extreme black album, not related to any of her taste but they rock.
If she likes Opeth, she should like Ulver - Bergtatt. I personnaly prefer the latter because it is much more darker.

And btw, I'm also a technical DM fan, she should like these bands.

Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulee / The Work Which Transforms God
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
...and Oceans - Symmetry of I, Circle of O
Dissection - The Somberlain / Where Dead Angels Lie / Storm of The Lights Bane
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Falkenbach - Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri / En Their Medh Riki Fara
Forest Stream - Tears of Mortal Solitude (not properly black metal but definitely has black metal influences)
Forefather - Deep Into Time
Moonsorrow - Suden Uni
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Sear Bliss - Glory and Perdition
Ulver - Bergtatt / Nattens Madrigal
Watain - Casus Luciferi

Just brainstorming there really

jonnykungfu said:
Rosesofshadow:

She's already into Arcturus, so good one.

I think I tried Bathory out on her and she found it boring (so nothing along the lines of Graveland/Bathory at this point I imagine)
Borknagar - I think she likes them
Immortal - Good one

I've never heard the other two. Actually I've heard Setherial a long time ago, and I faintly remember them being similar to Emperor.

Eternal tears of sorrow is good man, you should let her check it out. and if you're gonna check it, try Siebenburgen also (although their rythmn is kinda repetitive but still cool, I only have the delictum album, i don't think if that's the case on the other albums because i think there's no female backups in those)

Try checking Epoch of Unlight also

***You're lucky enough to have a girlfriend like her, because mine, she don't listen to metal at all whatever persuasion i use on her, not really works.***

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Considering how you said she likes Death Metal alot, I assume she's big on aggressive music. Don't bother with the calm atmosphereical BM. Go for the really brvtal kvlt and necro stuff first. Try:

Anaal Nathrakh - Very long title.
1349 - Liberation
Lord Belial - Angelgrinder
and more...

Check These bands, i'm sure she'll love some of them:

Ulver - Bergtatt
Aeternus - Beyond The Wandering Moon, ...And So The Night Became
Astriaal - Summoning The Essense Of Ancient Wisdom, Renascent Misanthropy
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
Blut Aus Nord - Ultime Thulée
Windir - Arntor
Negura Bunget - 'n Crugu Bradului, Sala Molksa
Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
Falkenbach - Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri
Nagelfar - Srontgorrth

mrweijia said:
Considering how you said she likes Death Metal alot, I assume she's big on aggressive music. Don't bother with the calm atmosphereical BM. Go for the really brvtal kvlt and necro stuff first. Try:

Anaal Nathrakh - Very long title.
1349 - Liberation
Lord Belial - Angelgrinder
and more...

She's into death metal because of the intensity AND because of the songwriting (she's not into those "random" death bands, like most brutal death is nowadays). She's not only into metal, but a lot of artsy stuff, and a lot of mellow stuff. The reason I don't want to try the more brutal black metal, for the most part, is because a lot of it is very monotonous, and I myself don't like it.

I've never heard 1349 but I've heard a lot about them, what are they like?

All you've gotta do is find a chick who plays an instrument.

At least, in my experience.

I mean, neither of us only listen to metal, but jazz, prog, RIO, pop, etc. So it's like, cool I guess?

But thanks for all the recommendations. I'm trying to come up with a songlist... I know I'm going to include Nokturnal Mortum, Abigor, Drudkh, Azrael, Immortal, Deathspell Omega, Burzum, Taake, Absu, Aeternus, Ashen Light, Enslaved, Summoning, Nagelfar, Moonblood, Dub Buk, and possibly Leviathan.

Any suggestions for songs from these bands that are very representative of their sounds, but very unique and somewhat accessable. For Nokturnal Mortum, I am using "The Call of the Aryan Spirit".

Just make sure you tell me what album it's on. And make sure it's not longer than 10 minutes just so I can fit the stuff on a CD or two.