Albums currently kicking your ass

Masters-Hammer-Ritual.jpg

Please tell me what you like about this album. It's never clicked with me and sounds second-rate and contrived. Is there something deeply philosophical about the lyrics that I'm missing? Is there an attraction to guitars that sound like poorly recorded fanfare?

Its an enjoyable and campy old school black metal album with a lot of thrash and classic heavy metal influenced riffs.

just listened to this - very promising!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VNvWL3Azp-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please tell me what you like about this album. It's never clicked with me and sounds second-rate and contrived. Is there something deeply philosophical about the lyrics that I'm missing? Is there an attraction to guitars that sound like poorly recorded fanfare?

Oh no, really? This album is awesome! I can't tell you about the lyrics because I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, but the vocal style is definitely interesting to me. These guys are pretty old, and this is their first full length album that was released in the 90s. I'm told that their other albums suck, so can't speak for their later albums. But this album is remarkable in the fact that they were doing things ahead of their time and they were doing things not even the Norwegian BM scene had yet to fully explore yet (using synths for a more "epic" sound and a more clearer/crisp production to name a few). Moreover, as ASD said it's not typical BM for their time because it has a lot of thrash/speed/Heavy Metal influences. There are a lot of great riffs on this album and some pretty impressive solos (well impressive for BM and the time it was written lol). I can understand how you'd say it seems a bit contrived because their music is kind of straight forward, but I was presently surprised at how much I was enjoying this album. It's definitely not a typical BM album but I feel that non-BM fans can enjoy this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Celeste - Misanthropes

This album will forever kick my ass. Easily in my top 5 albums of all time. Fucking nasty misanthropic hate-fueled post-hardcore done perfect.

Post-hardcore? Huh. I suppose so. All I know is that cover did NOT prepare me for how insanely intense in the album is.

490b904ced61b263ae111096793b534e.jpg

This album only just clicked a few months ago. Some of the most elaborate riffwork I've heard from a thorough speed metal album.