Albums currently kicking your ass

R-6976335-1430817991-5942.jpeg.jpg

Nachash - Conjuring the Red Death Eclipse

24738.jpg

Listening to this again and something is clicking. Bobby's vocals are kinda Ozzy-effected bad, but these songs have far more lasting power than pretty much anything on Last Rights. The last 2 tracks "Devil's Playground" and the re-recording of "Because I Made It" round the album out at the high point and refreshes the sort of earnestness that is Pentagram these days while still maintaining that cynical vibe that the rest of the album (and their career) expresses.

That is my drunk 1 minute review.

Edit--> In fact, the more I think about these songs and these riffs, the more I realize how Baltimore Doom it sounds. Like, some of these riffs could be throw right with the Obsessed or Unorthodox and those bands can do their own different thing with them but have an equal success. "Misunderstood" sounds like it belongs on the first Obsessed album. Perhaps this is telling to the whole Baltimore sound. I don't fucking know.

That is the other minute to my drunk review.

6439.jpg

I've had a shitty manual organization system for a decade now and am finally trying the full library thing, and the random track function is doing wonders. Barely even remember listening to these guys, but it's meaty, ballsy trad metal, kinda Tyrant/early Savatage-style.

tbh by the time it was over I was ready. The songwriting really isn't that good, but the vocalist and production make up for it. Still solid but I can see why I wouldn't remember it as well.

Symphony X are one of those bands, that despite being well known in the scene, they are nowhere near as big as they should be. Stellar musicians, songwriting, riffs, originality - just all around high marks. Love this band.

I've had Paradise Lost for a while but I either didn't didn't give it the time it deserves or my tastes have been more geared towards harsher genres and the epic/trad stuff but yeah absolutely incredible stuff.The semi ballad 'Paradise Lost' damn near brings me to tears.

Another Symphony X fan here.

I got into them with "Twilight In Olympus" and "V: The New Mythology Suite", which are two of my favourite albums of all time; wonderful musical continuity that flow very well as listening experiences.

But I really struggled with "The Odyssey"; it felt disjointed, like they'd run out of ideas. And then came "Paradise Lost" which I initially found too heavy and was sad that they were no longer the same band that made "Twilight..." and "V", so I lost interest for a few years.

Last year, after reading reviews and forum posts of people saying that "Paradise Lost" was their favourite, I re-visited the album and absolute loved it! Maybe the passage of time helped me to appreciate it as the "new" Symphony X, a different band from those earlier albums. I also think "Iconoclast" is just as good, and was surprised with the slating it seems to get. I'm equally surprised to see quite a lot of people stating "The Odyssey" to be their favourite, as I still don't like that one.

I've haven't heard "Underworld" yet as I only just ordered it a few days ago and it hasn't arrived yet...

Earlier tonight I ordered 'The Odyssey', 'V: The New Mythology Suite', 'The Damnation Game' and 'The Divine Wings Of Tragedy'.Sounds like I should grab 'Twilight In Olympus' as well soon.Pretty much blown my money for the next fortnight now though.I'm looking forward to hearing these and keen to hear what you think about the new one!

Symphony X are one of those bands, that despite being well known in the scene, they are nowhere near as big as they should be. Stellar musicians, songwriting, riffs, originality - just all around high marks. Love this band.

True that. Michael Romeo is far beyond the rest of the band members in terms of skill though. The guy is an equal to an Eddie van halen or yngwie malmsteen and that is no exaggeration at all. His composition and songwriting skills surpass theirs even.

Earlier tonight I ordered 'The Odyssey', 'V: The New Mythology Suite', 'The Damnation Game' and 'The Divine Wings Of Tragedy'.Sounds like I should grab 'Twilight In Olympus' as well soon.Pretty much blown my money for the next fortnight now though.I'm looking forward to hearing these and keen to hear what you think about the new one!

V, divine wings, and the Odyssey are their best I think, with Underworld close behind. I enjoyed Paradise lost but it was fairly controversial in the SX community. I could never get into damnation game or twilight. Avoid iconoclast and their debut, almost universally considered bad albums.

V, divine wings, and the Odyssey are their best I think, with Underworld close behind. I enjoyed Paradise lost but it was fairly controversial in the SX community. I could never get into damnation game or twilight. Avoid iconoclast and their debut, almost universally considered bad albums.

"Damnation Game" has some good tunes, but it's spoilt by a flat production. And their debut was with a different singer, so that's not one I'm bothered about either.

True that. Michael Romeo is far beyond the rest of the band members in terms of skill though. The guy is an equal to an Eddie van halen or yngwie malmsteen and that is no exaggeration at all. His composition and songwriting skills surpass theirs even.

Funny but for some reason I never really noticed the talent of this guy until you mention it he is a freak of nature! But I guess it's an a credit to their compositional talent that it really doesn't come off as over the top at all.