Albums currently kicking your ass

22728.jpg

51B5FKAw93L.jpg

I keep coming back to this one lately. Guess I'm in a weird gothic romance mood.

Also think Tiamat fills a nice niche that's heavier than most goth rock but more tasteful than most goth metal.

scurrilous1.jpg

@HamburgerBoy There's a lot of Sabin-era Toxik and Zenk-era Sieges Even in this album too alongside Realm. Really their best album by far, a great album and it's no surprise that it's their most contentious release given those influences.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamburgerBoy
R-4267018-1401456345-9708.jpeg.jpg

Only a few songs in but this album is blowing my mind. I'd always known Holocaust started playing progressive metal later in their career and it wasn't exactly a genre transition I was excited about. But this is progressive metal like Written in Waters is progressive metal. It's so mind-bending and weird, you can point out specific influences like Voivod and post-punk acts but the way it comes together it doesn't sound like anything else. @no country for old wainds have you heard this shit??

You're the only person that understands me <3
It's hilarious too because this is also the album when they actually followed through on all the potential they showed on tracks like No Stars Over Bethlehem and really just evolved from the mess that was Fortress. You'd have to bend over backwards to find anything remotely hardcore in Scurrilous at all.

R-4267018-1401456345-9708.jpeg.jpg

Only a few songs in but this album is blowing my mind. I'd always known Holocaust started playing progressive metal later in their career and it wasn't exactly a genre transition I was excited about. But this is progressive metal like Written in Waters is progressive metal. It's so mind-bending and weird, you can point out specific influences like Voivod and post-punk acts but the way it comes together it doesn't sound like anything else. @no country for old wainds have you heard this shit??

One of the most potent stylistic shifts I've ever heard from a band, let alone veterans of the NWOBHM.

It's hilarious too because this is also the album when they actually followed through on all the potential they showed on tracks like No Stars Over Bethlehem and really just evolved from the mess that was Fortress. You'd have to bend over backwards to find anything remotely hardcore in Scurrilous at all.

And it's the album Decibel shat on the most up til that point lol. I guess they preferred their less metal material...? Trash magazine.

Reactions: Talos of Atmora
And it's the album Decibel shat on the most up til that point lol. I guess they preferred their less metal material...? Trash magazine.
Well, yeah, it's no wonder people crapped all over it the most. As I mentioned before, off course the album that least resembles hardcore and more evokes the influences I mentioned is going to be the most contentious.

Also, metal publications are awful.

Reactions: CiG
Decided to listen to something Jose Vesely on a whim, as fortune would have he just uploaded something 14 hours ago

"full of thrash metal" :lol:

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why some people disliked Scurrilous. Its more dense/layered/heavier/harder to get into(for the average person i guess) than any of their previous work so obviously most of the plebs on this planet are going to have a harder time digesting it.

Decibel gave that album a 5/10, which isn't necessarily shitting on it. And from what i remember most of the hate for that album came from their own fanbase who were all shitting on the ramped up technicality that was displayed.

First listen today and DAMN! It's got the psychedelic black vibe sorta like Oranssi Pazuzu, but is heavier and warmer. Guitar tone and production sort of reminds me of Cobalt's latest record. If this grows on me even a little bit it will definitely be in my top 5 of the year.

Entropia - Vacuum

a3369810690_10.jpg

@dwellerINTHEdark I think you might dig this.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark