Albums currently kicking your ass

^ Garbage alt metal, massive disappointment since when I first heard of them everyone was describing them as some kind of prog-doom Watchtower/Confessor-y thing

Personally I prefer their previous album, though I do like that one too.

The band was obviously way better when they were still called Asylum though.

qF4giCv.jpg

230331.jpg

Never realized it until now but some of the drumming here + the general intensity almost gives me a little bit of a TOOH vibe. This shit was so bonkers for the mid 80s.

One of my favourite albums of all time. I've been blasting it on the way to work quite often recently. It's a perfect fit with the cold, dark weather.

Tracks 2, 5, 6 and 7 rank among the best within the genre. And I'm also quite partial to 1 and 4.

Is anyone aware of anything that builds on the ideas explored in this album? Contrary to popular belief, this sounds almost nothing like the first 2 Dissection records and I've never found anything that really sounds like this.

Last edited:
Contrary to popular belief, this sounds almost nothing like the first 2 Dissection records and I've never found anything that really sounds like this.
I got into Dissection and Vinterland around the same time I discovered this album. It was during the winter in 2008. A record store near me had the CDs and it was an impulse purchase. Honestly, it's a flawless album.

I agree with you though. The songwriting on Far Away from the Sun is much different from something like Storm of the Light's Bane or Welcome to My Last Chapter.

Last edited:
I find Setherial's Nord to be more similar to Far Away From the Sun than the more obvious choices, at least in terms of atmosphere. It might be worth checking out Sühnopfer too.

I already like Nord quite a bit. It's a shame most people write them off based on their later output.

I've never even heard of Suhnopfer, thanks!