Albums that Joey's programmed drums on?

JeffTD, I really want to believe that most of Joey's production works was done with live drums, but one example: cymbals in the new Asking Alexandria album sound exactly as Truth Custom Emerald pack. At least crashes, ride and both china's. Maybe there are many magic tricks with blending, or this cymbal pack was recorded with AA's drummer during their recording session... don't know.

No, that was done live, and the cymbals are going to be for sale soon as the Masters One pack. It probably sounds similar because the Emerald kit is samples taken of AA's drummers kit while recording the last album - chances are good his cymbals haven't changed, and Joey's micing/OH mixing techniques aren't drastically different, either.

A couple questions for you Jeff:

Could you give us a little insight into how (or more appropriately "what") you are editing when joey sends you drum tracks?

Meaning, we all know about the slip-editing method, but what tracks are you editing?

Sorry if this is a daft question..

Overheads, room(s), and using close Kick, Snare, and Tom mic tracks for visual references, or using trigger "blips" for quantizing.

If joey is including close mics I can see exactly how it goes down.
But if you are only receiving trigger tracks for Sn, K, and/or Toms,
how do you know what the beat is supposed to sound like while you edit?

Do you simply run instances of Trigger/Gog to monitor the signals?

Also, for those of you who are printing samples, do you print them before editing so that when you finish editing the raw tracks, the samples are aligned? Or do you edit first, then print samples?

Have you never heard a trigger track? You can still totally tell which drum it was and what's going on in the track. I regularly edit while just listening to OH + trigger 'splats' and never have an issue with it. As for what I'm editing... just the drum tracks. Group them all, start slipping. If you need to do the kick separate on faster parts, then go for it, but otherwise it's just one hit at a time with every edit applied to the same track.

That said, this is really a non issue - Joey has close mics going on every piece of the kit as long as I've been editing for him.

And ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS print sample replacement tracks AFTER you edit. The clean samples often mask edits that you wouldn't normally be able to get away with, and doing otherwise would just be, in a word, retarded.

Aw lol
this is great to know though, does he blend samples on the tracks he records or fully sample the triggers then use real cymbals?
Just wonderin.

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but if I'm understanding right...

Kick is usually 100% replaced, snare is a blend, and toms depend on the project. For instance, the toms are 100% natural on the upcoming Attila CD.

JeffTD said:

Kick is usually 100% replaced, snare is a blend, and toms depend on the project. For instance, the toms are 100% natural on the upcoming Attila CD.

Yeah it was basically my overcomplicated way of asking about blending and triggers
You the man Jeff.

Fuck I can name so many albums that are programmed and I can name so many that are live with samples. And when think about it it seems like they are split pretty well.
But like Jeff said (and he would be the one to know), Joey's more recent work this past year has been a lot more live work and I would say tons of his earlier work was programmed.

So Jeff, are you choosing samples for Joey, or does he tell you which ones he wants blended 50/50?

Are the new Miss May I Monument reissue songs programmed?

Last edited by a moderator: