Real drums > Programmed drums

M.Lehto

Jun 25, 2002
I always though, that with good programming and great samples you can use drummachine instead of a real drummer.

Just got the drumtracks from the session-drummer for new October Falls-track and fuck that this sounds good with real deal instead of the programmed drums.

There are some albums with programmed drums that sounds very good though.

meshuggah's latest album was recorded with programmed drums, and i'll be damned if i can tell the difference. and while that's a very rare exception, decent drum machines can be had for very cheap these days, and do not come with the inherent instability of drummers. :)

although yes, acoustic drums with a real life drummer is nearly always preferred.

Yeah, music like Meshuggah, the programmed drums fitted very good.

I'm just so fucking happy how these drumtracks came throught. All this little stuff added with symbals etc, that I would have never figured to do when programming.

There are two factors at play. One, the quality of the electronic drums. As Nad said, on the new Meshuggah, you'd never know they weren't the real deal. I think what genre also has an impact.

Zod

MFJ said:
Hush! Finnish people have the authority to misspell our shitty words.

Heh, well that was a typo, since I don't know any language, that spells cymbals with s.