Programmed Drums for People Who Hate Programmed Drums

I'd really like to hear your results, tbh - unedited drums tend to be one of biggest weakspots in amatuer recordings when it comes to 'tightness.'

Results posted. I don't need pointers on the mix, this was done quite some time ago, and I'm fully aware of how close to bad the mix is. I'd say it's pretty tight though, for nothing but minor edits.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1742937/Eyesofhatefinal.mp3

That isn't really that tight...It's not bad, but its not great either

I would definitely have fixed the errors, but this was before I knew anything about slip editing, etc. I don't think there's anything too terribly out of place though to where it impedes normal listening. Timing wise that is.

Yeah, that song would sound 10x better if the drums were on the grid. BUT, the song itself isn't great IMO so really it wouldn't matter in the end....

=D

Yeah, that song would sound 10x better if the drums were on the grid. BUT, the song itself isn't great IMO so really it wouldn't matter in the end....

=D

LOL. It isn't my music, no damage done :heh:.

And 10x better? I don't think it would make that much of a difference...

Here's another one with the same drummer, different band.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1742937/Introforrealz.mp3

Like I said, I don't think the editing would have made that much of a difference to where I think it would have actually been worth it, PLUS, even if it was edited, I think it would take less time than actual programming to where it sounds like it isn't programmed. Same issue with the mix, early work, I know it sucks.

Like I said, I don't think the editing would have made that much of a difference to where I think it would have actually been worth it, PLUS, even if it was edited, I think it would take less time than actual programming to where it sounds like it isn't programmed. Same issue with the mix, early work, I know it sucks.

Definitely doesnt sound tight to me, especially the snare

I guess it's pretty evident that I'm not a drummer then, I don't hear any problems :zombie:

I'm definitely going to edit the next band that comes around, that's for sure.

Sorry, but yes, quite different :cool:

Yeah sorry dude, that sounds pretty bad. With editing, the entire mix would sound way tighter. My original point still stands - if it takes you longer to program than to track, you're bad at programming.

I´ll buy the book with bonus videos dvd etc of course there allways be people here that want a book that tell them how to be a Joey Sturgis in one Method but if they do what i´ve done .... probably don´t need it hahaha I took all the post you made from the begining and reorganize per topic and you certainly can do a book with that hahaa but back to the topic the book will be good with midi examples with the replacement and I´ven you can offer your custom samplers as a plus but anyway...you should acept western union because I´m getting crazy because I want to buy the samplers of your page BUT I´HAVE NO INTERNATIONAL CREDIT CARD MAAAAN cheers

Joey please do this! BUT the title has to be "The Sturgis Method" lmao.

But do it, it's an awesome idea. At the page where you dedicate the book to someone, say your parents.. as usual and then say. "This book is strictly about drums and does not include anything relating to my POD patch, go fuck yourself's n00bs"

May as well chip in while the party is going!
Joey knows this is business, because for him, this pays all the bills and is doing so quite well, he has also gotten to the point where he is well known enough that more than likely, if someone sees 'X BOOK' by J.Sturgis, then it will be bought.
Possibly not by big guys, or guys on the board who know this shit already, but the people who LIKE joey's style already, and also those who would love to read a book instead of search forums endlessly etc.

And there's nothing wrong with that, but at the same time I understand, and I think Joey should to, why everyone is throwing their shit around about this.

Exactly for the reason that the ask Andy thread doesn't cost anything, or the samples he has put up, or the C4 settings etc... He hasn't tried top profit on his presets or ideas because he know they don't apply to everything, and he himself is probably changing thingsup all the time etc, and a few answers and tips don't constitute a money making scheme.

Also, for the same reason the Oz drum micing thread is free. The thread has the SHIT filled out of it and I've learned a but load about micing and recording metal drummers just from that thread. And if it was done as a book a little more in depth etc, I'd have bought it in a minute.

But instead, Oz saw his ideas and tips as a give back to the forum, which I think is everyones issue. We all frequent this place to share knowledge and ideas and to help eachother become better engineers. And it DOES seem like by taking this route, you've capitalised on the knowledge and good will of the forum and profited from it. Not that this is the case, I'm just saying...

Also, hell... when you put some samples up dude, I'd probably buy it! Means I can use it for when I program drums on my side project and make it sound good :)

Cheers fools!

Id buy it! Twice!

just to throw it out there you could also put in a section about your drum processing, triggering, replacing, quantizing and all that.
like you said about the mechanics of drumming and how to make it realistic but yet quantized, it would be interesting to read about doing this with audio and triggers. especially for newer people at this.

... you would be doing it the same way, but with audio and triggers.