Programmed Drums for People Who Hate Programmed Drums

In a way, they are programmed. They probably quantized those drums too. That has a bit to do with programming.

In the sense that the computer is receiving and recording digital signals that will later be used to reconstruct a drum performance, yes... but all recordings are exactly that, and triggering may have nothing at all to do with programming. In a way, your post was complete rubbish, and that lack of distinction has a bit to do with why so few people actually understand triggers.

Jeff

it could take up to a year

the book isn't going to be simple

it will be about much more than the actual act of programming drums

it will be more along the lines of drum engineering. not only real drums, but sampled drums as well.

I can´t see why this isn´t a really good idea that many people (me inlcluded) would by

I strongly doubt that the biggest market for this will be full-time AEs with studios, large mic cabinets, treated rooms, and big budgets from the labels. Can't quite put my finger on why...

Jeff

Exactly, this is obviously not directed towards "professional" AEs, this is for those guys who don´t have the room and money to record real drums with the adequate room, mics, drums, preamps etc to make it sound pro, in other words, bedroom producers

I want a printed copy.

I personally hate reading books on a computer, thats just me though.

I feel i really lack at making drums in the midi realm sound real. So this book would be perfect for me and help a great deal. As someone else mentioned I would probably buy any book you wrote about audio/midi though. :heh:

Cant wait for this dude!!!!!:kickass:

I'd be interested in such book myself.

Maybe by the time you release it, I will have set up a PayPal account for myself. :S

Joey, what I fail to see, is that by the time you've spent so much time programming the drums and making them sound more realistic etc. wouldn't it just be quicker to track an actual drummer? Punch-ins, quantize...done!

Joey does things his way!
Though Shalt Not Judge!
cigs and nigs and a bunch of Nos.

Obviously! :rolleyes:

But what I was referring to was the fact that Joey mentioned that time is something he's often restricted by (band needs to get back out on the road ASAP etc.) and he's pretty much stating that he can program realistic drums (it's easy to program drums, takes longer to program realistic sounding drums) quicker than it would take to track a drummer...

Obviously! :rolleyes:

But what I was referring to was the fact that Joey mentioned that time is something he's often restricted by (band needs to get back out on the road ASAP etc.) and he's pretty much stating that he can program realistic drums (it's easy to program drums, takes longer to program realistic sounding drums) quicker than it would take to track a drummer...

It is most definitely quicker to program realistic drums (once you get the hang of it and know what you're doing) than it is to set up a kit, tune it, mic it up, get tones, track the drummer, quantize the drums (!!!), and edit the bleed out of hat/ride/china/tom/whatever mics.

Not to mention you can just lay down the basics, have the rest of the guys track to it, and tweak literally everything after the fact!

It is most definitely quicker to program realistic drums (once you get the hang of it and know what you're doing) than it is to set up a kit, tune it, mic it up, get tones, track the drummer, quantize the drums (!!!), and edit the bleed out of hat/ride/china/tom/whatever mics.

Not to mention you can just lay down the basics, have the rest of the guys track to it, and tweak literally everything after the fact!

Normally I'd agree (or I just wouldn't have said what I said in the first place) but you're forgetting that Joey doesn't mic a kit in the traditional sense. He just triggers it and records the cymbals. That cuts down on a lot of time! Joey is also quite quick at quantizing in Cubendo. Quantizing doesn't take too long when slip editing.
I know I'd be quicker playing the stuff myself instead of programming it, but I don't know if Joey is working with shit drummers...!

Normally I'd agree (or I just wouldn't have said what I said in the first place) but you're forgetting that Joey doesn't mic a kit in the traditional sense. He just triggers it and records the cymbals. That cuts down on a lot of time! Joey is also quite quick at quantizing in Cubendo. Quantizing doesn't take too long when slip editing.
I know I'd be quicker playing the stuff myself instead of programming it, but I don't know if Joey is working with shit drummers...!

Yeah, so remove positioning of the drum mics, but you still gotta tune them and get the cymbals sounding good.

I know how slip editing works, I make a living on it more or less :lol:. It's still going to take longer recording a real drummer and quantizing than just programming. I doubt hes working with shit drummers, but I also can guarantee that your drums wouldn't be useable in one of his mixes without quantizing, so how well the guy plays it isn't exactly an issue - everything ends up getting moved.

Yeah, so remove positioning of the drum mics, but you still gotta tune them and get the cymbals sounding good.

I know how slip editing works, I make a living on it more or less :lol:. It's still going to take longer recording a real drummer and quantizing than just programming. I doubt hes working with shit drummers, but I also can guarantee that your drums wouldn't be useable in one of his mixes without quantizing, so how well the guy plays it isn't exactly an issue - everything ends up getting moved.

You wouldn't really have to tune them well, I'm pretty most metal producers try to get as little drums into the OH as possible, so bad tuning wouldn't be a constraint. I'm going to go ahead and say that it would definitely be faster to go with a regular drummer.