Albums you listen to for the production

mintcheerios

Dec 21, 2007
Do you have any albums that aren't particularly your favorites but gets played often anyways because of its awesome production? The Black Album is one for me. It has top-notch equipment and mixing minus the overcompression that dominates today's records.

Ok, these are both musical favourites, but also production favourites: Queen - A Night at the Opera and Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon.

Depends on the genre aaiigghhtt.

For your typical metal production : As I Lay Dying - Shadows Of Security.
Grind: Nasum, Rotten Sound along with AILD - Shadows...
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Buried At Sea - Migration, SunnO))) - Black One & Altar, The Sword.
Pop/Rock/Indie: Cave In - Perfect Pitch Black, Foo Fighters, The Morning Electric.

Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
As i Lay Dying - Shadows are Security
Chimaira - Resurrection
Daath - The Hinderers (Getting into it slowly though)
Five pointe O - Untitled
Ion Dissonance - Minus the Herd
Job For a Cowboy - Genesis
Killswitch Engage - from EOH up, before i actually enjoy the music
Machine Head - TheBlackening
Road Runner United
Divine Heresy...(wait thats just for the drums)

I'll probably add more as i remember them.

cradle of filth vempire i love just sitting listening to the drums on that album

fear factory demanufactured always sounds great on my car stereo

bathory the return because theres just something pure evil and wrong about the sound on that record

Most of the music I listen to is because of the production as it is, lol. Or, I guess I could say the bands I like tend to have the production quality I prefer.

I can say that I prefer the production quality of KSE's stuff more so than the band's music. On the flipside, I prefer Arch Enemy's songs on ROTT over the production by far. I can only imagine how much more kickass that album and the songs on it would be if Andy had had a hand in the production...At the every least on the drums.

I think the latest KSE album has no dynamics what-so-ever. It has been mixed and mastered for loudness. I am so disappointed with it. The title track/opening track doesn't build- it's got nowhere to go dynamically :puke:

bathory the return because theres just something pure evil and wrong about the sound on that record

No doubt that is one of the worst productions EVER yet somehow I love that album to death. Funny thing is that they were in an actual high end studio in comparison to Heavenshore (which was a garage) where most of their other early stuff was recorded.

For heavy stuff:
KSE (pretty much all of their CDs)
Metallica - Black Album
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Chimaira - Resurrection

For more rock driven:
STP - Purple
Incubus - A Crow Left of Murder
Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze

And well, I have such a huge CD collection that when ever I record a band I try and pick a reference that relates to the style they sound like / are going for.

For heavy rock and metal, off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Metallica- Load and Reload. Reload almost entirely for the production alone; it's not a particularly good album. I actually like a lot of Load, song-wise. Kick drum's a bit splatty for my taste, but everything else is pretty unfuckwithable. Love the snare, toms and hats. Huge vocals, great reverbs, massive guitar crunch. Big bottom end.

Alice In Chains- Dirt. Great guitar tone. The sampled drum sounds (every hit is the same damn sound, except the snare rolls in Rooster) are a bit wearing, which is a shame, as Sean Kinney's a really good drummer- he has some really recognizable beats that are as integral to the songs as the guitar riffs. That's rare.

Tool- everything. Lateralus especially. The guitars are phenominal. Though I may like the drums a bit better on 10,000 Days. Great rhythm section, great tones.

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia/Deadwing/Fear Of A Blank Planet. In Absentia has ridiculously thick guitar tones (in the few high gain moments on there) and FOABP has absolutely fantastic drums. I wish I could get a bass tone that punchy with that little treble.

Opeth- Deliverance and Ghost Reveries. Deliverance has great atmosphere and excellent, natural-sounding drums. Ghost Reveries is pristine sounding, but the drums are buried.

Gov't Mule- again, everything. IMHO, the best '70s style hard rock band out there, down to the "track the band playing live, all in the same room, to analog" aesthetic. Not so much these days, but their production still rules. Massive tone from everyone in that band, great groove and chops.

In Flames- Clayman. You know why. There's a huge thread on why the production on this album owns. Extra points for awesome overdriven bass tone way up in the mix.

Soundgarden- Superunknown. Great vocal performance and production. Lots of attention to detail and subtlety. Huge drums.

More rock than metal, but alas so am I :D ....

King's X - Dogman: The bottom end (subharmonic synth) is immense. I adore the room sound on the drums as well.

Chevelle - Wonder What's Next/This Type of Things: Andy Wallace, 'nuff said. What he does with the drums on "Comfortable Liar" is worth the price of admission alone. Guitar tones up the wazoo as well.

Katatonia - This Great Cold Distance: Depth and darkness

Mastodon - Blood Mountain: I don't like the mastering job on this one, but the bevvy of timbres and textures on this are inspiring

Our Lady Peace - Naveed: Lots of variation on this one too but a pretty sparse mix. The "bonky" snare isn't quite St Anger territory but it's about as far as you can go while still being tolerable.

A Perfect Circle - The Thirteenth Step: massive bottom end on this puppy.

I once again have to say "D'Angelo - Voodoo" ... yea, it's R&B (and doesn't even have good songs or metal guitars), but that album is so well recorded and mixed that it really "clears out my ears" and recalibrates them - especially because of the lack of squashing and great spacing.

I like it so much that I have included one track into my main Cubase template that gets loaded automatically as reference. And then I load another song that fits the type of production I want to do.

More rock than metal, but alas so am I :D ....

King's X - Dogman: The bottom end (subharmonic synth) is immense. I adore the room sound on the drums as well.

A Perfect Circle - The Thirteenth Step: massive bottom end on this puppy.

I can't believe I forgot these! :rolleyes: The tone on Dogman is crushing. Strat --> Rackmount Dual Rec --> Slaved into Mesa 295 --> V30 Mesa Cabs FTW. Gotta love Doug Pinnick's bass tone too. And I agree about the drum room 'verb.

The drums on all the APC stuff are great.

Trivium - Ascendancy
Nevermore - Godless E. and DHIANW
Arch Enemy - Doomsday
Chimaira - Resurrection
King's x - Dogman
Tool - 10000 Days
BFMV - Poison
KSE - EOHA
Machine Head - Blackening
Foo Fighters - several
RHCP - Blood Sugar....
Testament - The Gathering

For more modern metal:

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Pantera - Great Southern Trendkill
Lamb of God - As The Palaces Burn
Metallica - Load

For Glam/Sleaze:

Van Halen - Fair Warning
Racer X - Second Heat
Ozzy - No Rest For The Wicked
Ozzy - No More Tears

For Oldschool Thrash:

Exhorder - The Law(Drums and Vocals, if you like that guitarsound youre retarded! ;D)
Slayer - Reign In Blood [Expanded]
Metallica - And Justice For All

For Alternarock/Thrashballads:

Alter Bridge - One Day Remains
All Metallica and Pantera ballads

Things I take inspiration from no matter what I do:

AC/DC - Back in Black
Strange Fruit(Soundtrack from the movie "Still Crazy")
Spiritual Beggars - Ad Astra

Anything with other instruments than Guitar, bass, drums and vocals:

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Random stuff with Jean-Michael Jarre

Everything else is just "wingin' it". ;)