Albums you listen to for the production

Metallica- Load and Reload. Reload almost entirely for the production alone; it's not a particularly good album. I actually like a lot of Load, song-wise. Kick drum's a bit splatty for my taste, but everything else is pretty unfuckwithable. Love the snare, toms and hats. Huge vocals, great reverbs, massive guitar crunch. Big bottom end.

Agreed. That "Bad Seed" intro...holy crap!!

Agreed. That "Bad Seed" intro...holy crap!!

There's something wacky going on with the low end in that song. I think it's the bass; it's got some wierd warblyness happening, like the strings were really loose. They're tuned down to C# standard on that one. Jason Newsted had a really odd bass sound to begin with- there's like no top end to speak of, and not a lot of mids, either. It's nothing but lows and even lower lows. How he managed to get any note definition out of that, I have no idea, but it works.

I love Hetfield's rhythm guitar sound on that record. He used a Wizard Modern Classic head, and it sounds killer- really dry and tight. IMHO, it's his best recorded tone. I think that's one of the best uses of reverb on high gain rhythm guitars, too. It's really understated, but it gives this huge sense of space around the guitars.

Empyrium - Weiland
Ulver - A Quick Fix of Melancholy
In Flames - Clayman / R2R
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Daniel Lioneye - The King of Rock and Roll