Alesis M1 Mk2 Active/KRK RP-5

cobhc

Amiga Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Looking at buying a set of active monitors to run from the M-Audio Delta10/10LT I'm getting for my birthday, does anyone have any experience with the above monitors, to give me some idea of how good they sound or can advise me on some other monitors within the same price range, that are good for the money?

i wouldn't go for either monitors

i have the Alesis and i think it's really overbass heavy and lacking accurate Hi end , really sounds like a glorified scooped hifi speaker

KRK monitors i don't quite like them...never seem to translate well either.

I suggest : Yamaha MSP 5 or Fostex PM 1s M-audio BX8

looks like the fostex and the yamaha's are too expensive, not sure about the m-audio's, i'm looking like £250 max i reckon, although if there's a huge jump in quality for an extra £50, i might be able to stretch my budget

Well, we just got a pair of KRK Rokit powered 8" monitors to replace our Alesis M1 mkII's that we just couldn't take anymore. The Alesis monitors have this mid range crap that just screws with every single mix we've tried on them. Now, we were just using them for tracking since we got the Mackie HR824a's for mixing. But even for that, they suck. Bobby bought the KRK's just for the hell of it, and it turns out that they are pretty much the same exact thing as the Mackie HR824a's. They are very flat, and have amazing bass response and a clear defined hig-end. These monitors are really true and translate extremely well to everything from earbud headphones on an iPod to a decked out top of the line car stereo system. We still use the Mackie's exclusively for mixng, but the KRK's get some mixes passed through them every once in a while, just because we know we can trust them. At half the price of the Mackies for the pair, you can't go wrong with some of the best monitors I've come across for their extremely low price.

~006

I would suggest the M-Audio Bx5a or Bx8a. I own the Bx5a and I am very pleased with them. Before I bought them I did an A/B test with them against the KRK's and I found the krks to be really muddy and lifeless compared to the bx5's which seemed to have better high end. The have woven kevlar drivers and a silk dome tweeter and are very easy on the ears and budget. The bx8 are nice as well and the only difference in sound is there is more bass obviously because of the larger woofer. Go with the m-audios you wont be regret it.

Jordan

I used to have some Alesis monitors. They were my first set. It took forever to do a mixdown cuz they just didn't translate into what it should be. About 2 years ago I sold them and got the KRK V8 series II when they first came out.....They are awesome. It was down to them and the Mackie 828s, and the new Yamaha Precision 8s...I Know the ones I am talking about are a bit more moola, but they are worth it. Time is money.

There is no such thing as Mackie 828..it's 824, but anyway. The Rokit Powered 8" monitors are far better in quality than the M-Audio monitors...you have to be kidding. The M-Audio BX series have nowhere near the response that the KRK's have...and the KRK's are like an exact replica of the Mackie HR824a's which are well known to have one of the flattest responses on the market. I dunno about you, but I think I would want the flattest monitors available at the lowest cost to do my mixes on...instead of saving a couple of hundred bucks and having to get use to a set of monitors that boost at 600Hz and can't handle anything below 52Hz. But that's just me, stupidly desiring a flat mixing environment...pfft.

~006

I appreciate that. And seriously, the Alesis have this mid range boost that is just annoying as hell. They make you think you have too much mids and too much bass all the time. If you have the right amount of low-end on a mix, they will sound like they are about to blow. And you will be cutting mid-range like crazy, only to pop your cd into a car stereo to find out that it's lacking a ton of mids, and has that overly scooped sound on the overall mix. I was able to get use to them and know their characteristics after a while, but it's just annoying to have to even go through that if you don't have to. Spend the extra $200 or so and get flat monitors.

~006

check out the tr series from event. they are one of the best under a grand all things considered. try out all you can and get the ones that work for you, in your room. all of our rooms are different and none are like yours. most stores have like a two week return policy or something to that effect. pick some up and do some mixes. try out a few pairs. after all youll have them a while. thats what i did and im glad i tried a few. what i thought was my first choice was definetley the worst sounding of the monitors i tried. but seriously get what you like the sound of, that all that matters.

Ohhhh yeah the Event Tuned Reference 8" powered monitors are really good. They definitely handle the low end very well. I picked these to serve as tracking monitors for my equipment list on my studio that I want to build. They are great. Worth their weight in gold. :) Seriously. Hmm...what you haven't told us is how big your room is. If you are going to be mixing in your bedroom, you should probably be looking at smaller monitors. Something with a 6" subwoofer, instead of an 8". Unless you are like me and HAVE to feel that low-end, hehe.

~006

well i've spotted a place near me that sell monitors, so i guess i could maybe go in and have a listen to some in my price range, i wouldn't mind some that dont sound too bad for listening to music in general as well, as they will be used in my bedroom.

just to add, i guess it's a matter of personal taste right? should i take in some mixes that i like, to this shop, and see how they sound on different speakers? what do you guys normally do when deciding if a set of monitors are right for you personally to mix on?

Use a couple of songs (diferent styles of music if possible, the bigger the variety oof styles the better) that you know by heart and you have listened to in lots of diferent places. You must be more or less confident on how they should sound. Then listen to them intensively through all the monitors you are considering and choose the pair that sounded the most accurate.

+1.

Usually I'll take a cd that has a mix of my favorite songs featuring several different styles of music. And I'll play it through all the monitors that are hooked up at the store. Whichever ones sound the best for all of them are the lucky winners. Sometimes a pair will sound great for one style, and then another style it's just not happenin. You have to make sure the monitors you pick sound great for everything. That means they are (more or less) the flattest of all the ones you are testing out. Good luck.

~006