Alesis M1 Mk2 Active/KRK RP-5

Uhm...here at the studio, in which the room was designed by an acoustical engineer to provide a "perfect" mixing environment, the KRK's have the exact same sound as the Mackie HR824's. I work wtih them both every single day and I'm working with them right now. We use the Alesis M1mkII's for tracking here as well. They do not have a tight punchy bass. They sound like they are going to blow anytime you have the low-end like it SHOULD be. Which forces you to roll off things that you don't need to, ending up with a thin sounding mix compared to stuff that we mix using the Mackie HR824's. No, ours aren't worn out. The Alesis just suck compared to the Mackie's and KRK's. The 6" sub can't handle what the 8" subs can. Plain and simple.

I was telling him that you *could* run an eq in front of your monitors to notch out any frequencies that the monitors accent. Such as the Alesis' boost in the midrange. I did tell him that it's not the greatest of ideas though.

The HR824's are actually extremely flat. They translate amazingly well onto everything we've played back mixes on. Portable CD players, car systems, home theater systems, home stereos, portable stereos, iPods, laptops, computer speakers...everything. However, the same project mixed on the Alesis monitors always have this rediculous mid range and it only sounds "ok" on the Alesis...everything else the mixes sound like absolute crap.

They may well be the "choice" for hobbyists. That's great. They are cheap monitors that aren't very accurate. I suppose they are good to learn on, that way when you get a *good* set of monitors your life becomes much easier, but in a professional studio, they absolutely lick nuts.

~006

006 said:
The Alesis just suck compared to the Mackie's and KRK's. The 6" sub can't handle what the 8" subs can. Plain and simple.
And the fact the the Alesis cost four times less is also a somewhat decisive factor, I suppose. Nobody expects the M1 to sound like the Mackies or KRKs. It's just downright impossible. They are aimed at completely different markets. And no: the alesis won't do for a pro studio. They are ok for my home recordings and my learning process though.

I guess I shouldn't be posting on this thread, I'm just use to higher-end stuff. I'm obviously going to recommend something more expensive, heh.

~006

006 said:
Uhm...here at the studio, in which the room was designed by an acoustical engineer to provide a "perfect" mixing environment, the KRK's have the exact same sound as the Mackie HR824's. I work wtih them both every single day and I'm working with them right now. We use the Alesis M1mkII's for tracking here as well. They do not have a tight punchy bass. They sound like they are going to blow anytime you have the low-end like it SHOULD be. Which forces you to roll off things that you don't need to, ending up with a thin sounding mix compared to stuff that we mix using the Mackie HR824's. No, ours aren't worn out. The Alesis just suck compared to the Mackie's and KRK's. The 6" sub can't handle what the 8" subs can. Plain and simple.

I was telling him that you *could* run an eq in front of your monitors to notch out any frequencies that the monitors accent. Such as the Alesis' boost in the midrange. I did tell him that it's not the greatest of ideas though.

The HR824's are actually extremely flat. They translate amazingly well onto everything we've played back mixes on. Portable CD players, car systems, home theater systems, home stereos, portable stereos, iPods, laptops, computer speakers...everything. However, the same project mixed on the Alesis monitors always have this rediculous mid range and it only sounds "ok" on the Alesis...everything else the mixes sound like absolute crap.

They may well be the "choice" for hobbyists. That's great. They are cheap monitors that aren't very accurate. I suppose they are good to learn on, that way when you get a *good* set of monitors your life becomes much easier, but in a professional studio, they absolutely lick nuts.

~006

There are no "subs" on any of the monitors you're talking about. They are called woofers.

You are wrong. I've seen pics of your studio, and that's cool and all, but you're a long way away from having a "perfect mixing environment". Mackie 824's are, by leaps and bounds, better sounding monitors than RP-8's. The KRK's don't have the depth or the stereo image that the Mack's do. Both the highs and the lows are fuller and have more detail in the 824's. The KRK's are actually quite a bit flatter than the 824's. They sound more like NS-10's than they sound like 824's. After using the 824's on hundreds of sessions and thousands of hours, it is still hard for me to mix on the KRK's even after owning them for a year and a half now.

The term "hyped", when used to describe monitors like 824's and 1031a's has become sort of cliche, but it's true. The extended responses (lows and highs) in both of these monitors make them a lot easier to listen to than "flatter" monitors like NS-10's. One of the reasons they translate well into the everyday environment (car stereos, home systems, etc.) is because they sound more like everyday speakers than most traditional studio monitors - which would make them far from sounding flat. Typically, midrangey monitors means flat monitors. Midrange frequencies are the most apparent to the human ear.

I don't personally know any "hobbyists", but I do know guys with platinum records that use those little M-Audio speakers on a daily basis. I also know guys with platinum records that use the Alesis' on a daily basis. If you are having problems with the bass on the Alesis', either you have a f'ed up pair, or your bass isn't right in the mix. When you get them to bang, then you got it. It takes a long time. Trust me, I know.

006 said:
They are Tannoy Reveals...and they aren't that flat. They are expensive because even though they are decent monitors (not all that flat though) you are really paying for their aesthetics. I've used those and they have this midrange boost, it's slight, but it's there. Anyway...

The reason I'm "bashing" the Alesis, is because I was working with them all day every day. I would get so tired of using them after very short periods of times, and they are so untrue it's not even funny. When you've worked with Mackie HR824's, Genelec 1031a's, ADAM Audio P22-A's, Dynaudio BM5-A's, and even those KRK Rokit 8's...the Alesis fucking suck compared to those monitors. The Alesis just are NOT flat. Thats the plain and simple explaination. When the hell does mixing take only an hour? When you are mixing one or (maybe) two songs? What about mxing an entire album like I have to do nearly every single day? I would have to take a break after each song being mixed so that I could give my ears a rest before being subjected to those Alesis monitors for another hour/song. Once we got the Mackies and the KRK's, I could sit there all day and mix. Not one problem after we got *quality* monitors. And our mixes translated perfectly to everything, instead of only sounding like they should on the Alesis...

I suggest the Event Tuned Reference monitors with the 8" sub. ;)

~006

I checked the tannoy site, and they're actually Eclipses. Are these the same speakers you were talking about.

http://www.tannoy.com/EllipseOverview

Hate to resurrect this thread, but i've got the chance to get some KRK RP-8's for pretty cheap, can anyone apart from 006 recommend these?

cobhc said:
Hate to resurrect this thread, but i've got the chance to get some KRK RP-8's for pretty cheap, can anyone apart from 006 recommend these?
i know oznimbus uses and is happy with his krk v8s. im almost positive though they are way nicer than the rockits. i havent heard too much good about the rockits. i think probably the only reputable monitors under $500.00 are the events. if you havent checked them out yet i would before buying. if you can go higher than the events i would check out mackies. krk v8s, and the new yamaha hs80s or whatever they are. i listened to the new yamahas a couple of weeks ago and i thought they sounded really good as far as i could tell in the store. unfortunatley with monitors, you kinda get what you pay for.

cobhc said:
Yeah, i guess i should just wait and buy some when i can afford some mackie's or something
yea, you should definetly save until you have enough money to get the monitors you like the sound of. machies are good, but some people dont like the way they sound(im not crazy about them, but they are definetly workable for sure), so save up and get the ones that sound best for you. my next pair is probably gonna be the new yamaha hs80s. i couldnt believe how good they sounded. i was impressed. so my plan is to pick some up and see how mixes translate with them.