Alesis M1 Mk2 Active/KRK RP-5

006 said:
They are Tannoy Reveals...and they aren't that flat. They are expensive because even though they are decent monitors (not all that flat though) you are really paying for their aesthetics. I've used those and they have this midrange boost, it's slight, but it's there. Anyway...

The reason I'm "bashing" the Alesis, is because I was working with them all day every day. I would get so tired of using them after very short periods of times, and they are so untrue it's not even funny. When you've worked with Mackie HR824's, Genelec 1031a's, ADAM Audio P22-A's, Dynaudio BM5-A's, and even those KRK Rokit 8's...the Alesis fucking suck compared to those monitors. The Alesis just are NOT flat. Thats the plain and simple explaination. When the hell does mixing take only an hour? When you are mixing one or (maybe) two songs? What about mxing an entire album like I have to do nearly every single day? I would have to take a break after each song being mixed so that I could give my ears a rest before being subjected to those Alesis monitors for another hour/song. Once we got the Mackies and the KRK's, I could sit there all day and mix. Not one problem after we got *quality* monitors. And our mixes translated perfectly to everything, instead of only sounding like they should on the Alesis...

I suggest the Event Tuned Reference monitors with the 8" sub. ;)

~006

dang that stinks man. The whole casing thing is nice though. You don't have to worry about what it's sitting on or anything...it doesn't vibrate so putting it on a wooden desk won't change the tone at all. I'm sure theres ways to bring down the mids just a touch though and they'd end up rather flat.

006 said:
Ew. The KRK's will own those. Go for the 6 inchers!

~006

right, gonna go into the shop tomorrow and try some out, just wish i still had tge on original (damn my friend!!!), love the mix on that, anyone willing to rip me a few tracks on lossless quality? :loco:

Well, yeah, you could run a graphic eq before the monitors, but then you could also introduce other issues (noise, other frequency problems) by going that route. Anyone can easily get use to the characteristics of un-flat monitors, it's just more convenient to spend a little more or less and get flat/true monitors so you can always know it's sounding like it should.

There has always been a debate over which is better, having the monitors isolated using pads, setting them in the walls, or having feet versus having them sitting on a desk. Monitors in walls have less of that low-end vibration for you to feel, so you might be adding bass there because you don't feel it. Monitors sitting on a desk might have more low-end and you will cut some out becuase you *think* there is too much. It varies by application. There's no better or worse way, it just depends on what you are use to, what you can adapt to, and what really works for the room you are in.

~006

ThatGuitarGuy said:
I'm sure theres ways to bring down the mids just a touch though and they'd end up rather flat.
A graphic equalizer? Dunno man, I'd just go for a couple of monis that where flat from the start (If I had the cash to get really flat monis, that is lol).

Whoa, whoa - let's slow down a little here. There's quite a bit of 'misinformation' going around on this thread.

1)The KRK's are NOT identical to the Mackie 824's. They actually don't sound anything like them. I own a pair of RP 8's and I don't like them much. The funny thing is I always try to mix on them like I would the 824's, but it just doesn't work. If I were at a different stage with my engineering skills I'd probably love them. For $400 (I get a special hookup at GC), I can't expect too much.

2)None of the monitors mentioned here are 'flat'. The Dynaudio's are probably the closest thing to it, though. 824's, KRK's, Genelec's, ADAM's - all are a long way from being 'flat'. Accurate? That's a different story.

3)Do not put a graphic eq across your nearfields!!!

4)Your monitors really don't matter that much if you're not in an acoustically treated environment.

5)The Alesis monitors are actually highly regarded by many project studio and home studio recordists. They are very punchy and have tight bass.

I'm looking to acquire a pair of the Event ASP-8's this summer. I am very impressed with what I've heard so far. Those and a set of NS-10's and I'm good.

metalkingdom said:
3)Do not put a graphic eq across your nearfields!!!
I never said anyone should do that. I said that it's a way of modifying the sound of monitors. I also said that you should buy monitors you are happy with in the first place and forget about graphic eqing. Graphic eqing should only be used for slight room correction in large venues, as far as i'm concerned. For everything else, use proper acoustic treatment (and mastercard).