Alesis M1 Mk2 Active/KRK RP-5

if the place has a return policy take them home and try them out in your room. i mean its kind of important seeing as how your room is different than the one at the store. id try a few out as well. actually mix on them and see how they translate on different systems. most stores have a good return policy when it comes to pro audio gear.

if the place has a return policy take them home and try them out in your room. i mean its kind of important seeing as how your room is different than the one at the store. id try a few out as well. actually mix on them and see how they translate on different systems. most stores have a good return policy when it comes to pro audio gear.

I use the Alesis M1 MkII. Personally, i dont mind their voicing, but the high end could be a bit better/ clearer, and i do tend to get fatigued when listening through them for an hour or more, even when im not mixing.

I have the Event TR5s and they're pretty nice. I'd like to try out some of those KRK's though.

My recording guy has these other ones that look like an egg on it's side. I forgot their name, but I'll find out...they're rediculously sick...and uber expensive. They're in this picture that I ran into on the Godhead site. I don't know much about this band, but I remember the picture haha.

Comando2-14_RT8.jpg

They are Tannoy Reveals...and they aren't that flat. They are expensive because even though they are decent monitors (not all that flat though) you are really paying for their aesthetics. I've used those and they have this midrange boost, it's slight, but it's there. Anyway...

The reason I'm "bashing" the Alesis, is because I was working with them all day every day. I would get so tired of using them after very short periods of times, and they are so untrue it's not even funny. When you've worked with Mackie HR824's, Genelec 1031a's, ADAM Audio P22-A's, Dynaudio BM5-A's, and even those KRK Rokit 8's...the Alesis fucking suck compared to those monitors. The Alesis just are NOT flat. Thats the plain and simple explaination. When the hell does mixing take only an hour? When you are mixing one or (maybe) two songs? What about mxing an entire album like I have to do nearly every single day? I would have to take a break after each song being mixed so that I could give my ears a rest before being subjected to those Alesis monitors for another hour/song. Once we got the Mackies and the KRK's, I could sit there all day and mix. Not one problem after we got *quality* monitors. And our mixes translated perfectly to everything, instead of only sounding like they should on the Alesis...

I suggest the Event Tuned Reference monitors with the 8" sub. ;)

~006

ok, now i'm thinking i might stick with running my new soundcard through my hi-fi till i can afford some good monitors at sort of twice the price i'm currently looking at.

The Event Tuned Reference 8's are $500 new. You can also get a pair of the KRK Rokit Powered 8's (identical to the acclaimed Mackie HR824a's) for $500 new as well.

~006

Ew, that's like $700US. I still will never understand the huge differences in prices over the globe for the same products. I guess we're just lucky here in the states. :)

~006

yeh £370 or so is about the cheapest i can find a pair for........i guess i should go try some out, then decide if i can afford the pair i like lol, how much of a difference is there between the rp6 and the rp8 apart from the obvious smaller sub

You answered your own question. One is a 6", the other is an 8". So, you can imagine the 8" model will have more low-end to push out. It will give a more accurate bass response, the 6" will not be as "thick" sounding, but it's still really flat.

~006

just wondering if the rp8 is like a bit too much for me just starting out? i mean for home producing, and not having a good room anyway lol, just my bedroom, and a £100 m-audio soundcard

The rp6 would be fine. I was just suggesting the rp8 because I like having that thick sound in the control room. You really feel the low-end with the 8" monitors moreso than the 6". It's just my personal preference.

~006

Well, I would still keep the hi-fi system to check mixes on anyway. The krk's will be fine for listening to music on, but it won't sound anything like your hi-fi system. I have a Sony 1600 watt home theater system here for that purpose. To listen to music during downtime, and to check mixes on. I would keep the hi-fi and have a way to switch between the KRK's and the hi-fi system back and forth to check mixes and listen to music.

~006

Well...you would notice a big difference then with the 6" monitors. They won't have as much low-end as your hi-fi system. I don't know what else to tell you. You really should take one of your favorite cd's to listen to at the store. If you aren't really bothered by the 6" sub, then go for those. You can always get the KRK subwoofer to sit under your desk (or wherever) later on to get that rumble if you wanted to.

~006