Alestorm-Final Product

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
K guys, Napalm just gave me the ok to post this medley of 3 songsnippets.

the first song is the titlesong "Capt. Morgan's Revenge", the second one is called "Nancy the Tavern Wench", these songs were supposed to sound folky yet modern.
the 3rd song is "of Treasure", a folky track with tinwhistle, jawharp, acoustic guitar and a ver virtuosly played vibraslap ;). this song was supposed to sound very live and organic, that's why I used almost only the roommics and hardly any direct mics on the toms etc.

it's too late to chnage anything and I think I got the best out of it (that was possible with the given time and talent (my talent I mean), but I'd like to hear (read) your opinion and comments anyway.

it's too late to change anything, but please tell me what you think:

Alestorm-Snippet

Thanks for the feedback

I like: songwriting, guitar sound / playing, vocals.

I don't like: drum arrangement and playing (is it just me or do they sound sometimes not tight?).

Apart from the drumming problems, I quite like the overall product.

yep, I LOVE his snare, he got it for about 250€...I offered him 300, he won't sell it.

about the drumming....
What? I was totally impressed with his playing, never recorded such a hard hitter that sill played fast and tight....

unless you mean the 3rd song, that was recorded like this:

(I think we did just 1 take)

thanks for your comments, I am pretty satisfied with the guitartone myself I gotta admit

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds fantastic, I really like this a lot! how many guitar tracks? Sorry if this was previously mentioned. Recto/5150 right? Which preamps on guitar if you don't mind me asking?

-Joe

Sounds fantastic, I really like this a lot! how many guitar tracks? Sorry if this was previously mentioned. Recto/5150 right? Which preamps on guitar if you don't mind me asking?

-Joe

thanks, sure it's no secret ;)

guitars were 2 tracks of Recto (100%L/R) and 2 tracks of 5150 (80%L/R), the 5150-tracks were like 3-4 dB quieter (both boosted with 808)
Cab was an Engl v30 miced with one sm57 preamp was API 3124+ (love that one) into RME A/D.
no post EQ 'cept HP and LP at about 60hz and 13k.

thanks, sure it's no secret ;)

guitars were 2 tracks of Recto (100%L/R) and 2 tracks of 5150 (80%L/R), the 5150-tracks were like 3-4 dB quieter (both boosted with 808)
Cab was an Engl v30 miced with one sm57 preamp was API 3124+ (love that one) into RME A/D.
no post EQ 'cept HP and LP at about 60hz and 13k.

Awesome, so I guess it's true that minimal processing should be used on guitars granted they sound good raw. I still know nothing about the EQ process or terms. I need some good resources to read up on?

That API is a dream preamp for me...:-D

-Joe

Awesome, so I guess it's true that minimal processing should be used on guitars granted they sound good raw. I still know nothing about the EQ process or terms. I need some good resources to read up on?

That API is a dream preamp for me...:-D

-Joe

that's true for eveything, try to get it right in the first place and tweak as little as possible later.
I play with alot of settings on the amp (including preamp- and poweramp-tubes and bias etc) then try the different speakers and mic-positions (a mm makes a huge difference sometimes)...I use stonepicks (and in this case urged Gavin to use one as well)..and all the other things

I gotta admit that I'm a bit crazy though, I even change Batterytypes in pedals for AB-tests ;).

it's really all the tiny things that add up IMO (like how hard you drive the mic-pre etc).

If everything is as good as you can get it before it goes to tape you should not need much EQ, at least definitely not for fixing stuff that wasn't there in the first place

Aye, speaking to a .10 string, jazz III pick, V using guitarist from scotland.

Send him to germany, give him HUGE strings, stonepicks and a strat then say "track an entire album in 4 days! :D:D:D:D

Kudos to lasse, the man knows his shit and whipped fuck out of me to get a great sound!

4 ht down meaning C-standard? Christ Gav, I use 13-56 for that tuning (you wussy hehehehehehehehe :heh:)