Alexi changed from EMG to seymour duncan

From past experience I can tell you that seymour duncan and dimarzio is better than emg. I never really liked the active emg81 so it might be a good thing for Alexi. Correct me if I am wrong but Alexi's old wildchild jackson had a passive pickup with a gain booster. I always dug that sound. Seems like nowadays he's tuning the guitar heavier and gives to the real heavy sound, more American metal sound. I hope they go back to the standard D-tuning and create more FTR songs.

I dno whether it was working properly or not but when I played a Jackson RR24 fitted with an EMG 81, it sucked. Obviously, it could have just been setup badly or something 'cause it was pulled straight off the shelf after god knows how many other people have played it but the tone wasn't that good and there was hardly any gain. I swapped guitars while playing through the exact same setup/levels and the other one was much better. I don't even think those pickups had a name on them.

I'd like to hear a change in tone and see what he can do with it because I've always listened to guys that use DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan and liked the tones so maybe it'll be for the better.

I dno whether it was working properly or not but when I played a Jackson RR24 fitted with an EMG 81, it sucked. Obviously, it could have just been setup badly or something 'cause it was pulled straight off the shelf after god knows how many other people have played it but the tone wasn't that good and there was hardly any gain. I swapped guitars while playing through the exact same setup/levels and the other one was much better. I don't even think those pickups had a name on them.

I'd like to hear a change in tone and see what he can do with it because I've always listened to guys that use DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan and liked the tones so maybe it'll be for the better.

It could have been the string height from the pickup, that is usually the problem. You being a Gilbert fan (or anyone for that matter), should try the tonezone. I have never tested it out but having played other guitars with similiar dimarzio pickups, it can't be bad :p.

It could have been the string height from the pickup, that is usually the problem. You being a Gilbert fan (or anyone for that matter), should try the tonezone. I have never tested it out but having played other guitars with similiar dimarzio pickups, it can't be bad :p.

I've been meaning to get one actually. Although, I much prefer his 80's tone over the newer DiMarzio/Laney tone so I don't know if it'd be exactly what I'm looking for. I could buy a ToneZone and a Duncan Distortion (which was his main pickup) and see which one sounds better in combination with the MP1.

don't get to ahead of yourself, buy a power amp first. lol.

I should still be able to use the preamp on it's own if I use headphones or use the speaker cab sim on my Korg PX4.

If not, then I will try and get one. Although, I don't get paid for another few weeks so fuck it.

moar liek "sellout", amirite?

don't think so.If he really was not happy with his tone then he made a good decission,because his live tone(for the studio tone we'll have to wait for Blooddrunk)nowadays is fucking great(check the short vid from Hellfest in Youtube).If he did sell out,then it's the best selling out in this fucking world,because as I've said,his tone nowadays is much better IMO.